Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Anyone want to play Ba'al?  (Read 1313 times)

Offline dougsmit

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek & Roman Coins
Anyone want to play Ba'al?
« on: June 04, 2011, 11:05:30 pm »
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-68115

Aspendos stater with Ba'al countermark

This BOT entry asks you to consider more than the usual question of coin grade. To match or exceed this 'type' I ask you consider not just the coin but the countermark and its placement. The countermark should have a better strike of the bull and, especially, better clarity of the LUY legend (Aramaic for Ba'al read right to left). Further, I'll expect the flat mark on the opposite side to do less damage to that design than this one. My example suffers from the dotted border falling across the middle of the bull so there is a lot of room for improvement here. Each voter can deside if the off centered reverse is a fault or a benefit since it makes room for the countermark.

This BOT entry is to demonstrate that there are many factors to consider when 'grading' an ancient coin.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity