Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cilician Armenia Die Match!  (Read 1641 times)

Offline lv88

• Consul
    • Armenian Numismatic Page
Cilician Armenia Die Match!
« on: January 15, 2006, 10:01:45 pm »
A recent aquisition from the NYINC this weekend. Appears to be a die match to an ex. CNG piece:

CILICIAN ARMENIA, SMBAT, AR DRAM.

Obv. King seated on a throne ornamented with lion heads, feet resting on a footstool, wearing a crown and a royal mantel, holding a cross in the right hand and fleur-de-lis in the left.

There are circles in the field, and between the cross and first letter in the legend. This is a curious and unknown phenomenon seen on some of Smbat's drams. Only these two have them in the legend as well, most only between the king next to throne's lions
+ o ՍՄԲԱՏ ԹԱԳԱՒՈՐ ՀԱՅՈՑ
Rev. A cross between two lions, rampant, regardant. An unusual cross.
+ ԿԱՐՈՂՈՒԹԲՆ ԱՍՏՈՒԾՈՅ
This specimen appears to be a die match to CNG 61, Lot: 2350

Any thoughts? Comments ?

Regards,
Levon

Offline lv88

• Consul
Re: Cilician Armenia Die Match!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2006, 10:08:25 pm »
here:

i-xan

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2006, 08:59:26 am »
sorry, I've not got the question, yes, maybe or probably it's a die match. does it mean anything in particular?

best regards, will email you today or tomorrow

I-xan

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2006, 11:49:37 am »
Hi!

Well, a die atch is a rare occurance for C. Armenian coins in itself.

For Smbat, his coins are rare period. So, a die match would be a rare occurance. If you notice the two cicles in the field, they are somtimes seen on other Smbat coins not having a die match to this, but there is also a circle between the cross and the start of the first letter in the legend. this I have seen only on these two coins, which appear to be die matches. Very curious.

Best,
Levon

i-xan

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006, 01:39:39 pm »
well, as far as I understand, the rarer the coin, the more chances two specimens to be die matches

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006, 02:00:40 pm »
HI!

Yes, I did forget about that, the rarer, tyhe more likely a die match. This is though quite an interesting discovery.

Manzikert

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2006, 06:00:50 pm »
Hi Levon

A very nice piece, slightly better struck than the CNG specimen as well I think. The short reign definitely makes the obvious die match less unusual.

I like the king's hat: it rather reminds me of the Chinese conical hats: are there any contemporary pictures of Smbat (or any other king) wearing this rather than a crown?

Best wishes

Alan

Offline lv88

• Consul
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 08:30:08 pm »
Hi Alan!

Yes, It does remind one of a Chinese hat. This is actually the crown though, given, I agreee very odd. There are a number of varieties of crowns, from typical Western to Eastern Byzantine crowns. see my gallery for a veriety of crowns.

Best,
Levon

All coins are guaranteed for eternity