Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: osman ghazi???  (Read 1950 times)

iaculator

osman ghazi???
« on: December 13, 2005, 05:46:28 am »
hi everybody.

here is the copper coin i had mentioned about a few weeks ago. i had it scanned it... i saw a similar one in the book of Nuri PERE , as it may have been minted in the reign of Osman Ghazi, although it s doubtful... and in the site of Babacan Coins, it says anonymous Sarukhanid.. Which of them is true????

thanks a lot...

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Re: osman ghazi???
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2005, 04:35:28 pm »
Oh man

Well, do me a favour and take a nice big image of it. Crisp and clear. Supply weight and diameter and I will be able to tell you what it is. At least, if it is Sarihan or not. If this is Osman then I am in no position to tell you if it is one or not since I have never had one in hand.

Best wishes,
burak

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2005, 04:36:46 pm »
Although from a closer glance now I think this may be a Beyazid Mangir.

iaculator

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2005, 02:44:00 am »
hi istinpolin..

well i m very very sure that this is not a Bayezid Mangir, because i have lots of them..generally they have three parallel lines on  both sides.. and on them there may be a David Star, a date 792 and the name of sultan.. Bayezid bin Murad ..and also "Hullide Mulkehu"....... and on this coin we only see Haledallahu Mulkehu on both sides.. and no date or mints.. and the size is just the same with it s told in Nuri PERE..22 cm and almost 4-4,5 grams...the same with that... by the way i read that the sentence "Haledallahu Mulkehu" werent used on coins after Murad I..

thanks a lot..

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2005, 08:51:56 am »
Well I have a bunch of unpublished Beyazid I and Beyazid II Mangirs. Some types look like yours.

However, your coin is an anonymous Mangir. Most likely from the area of Galipoli. Hence, it may be a local issue by the Saruhan Beylik. But no one can be certain.

Nuri Pere assigned this coin wrongly to Osman Gazi. There are only 2 specimen known of a coin that reads Osman bin Ertugrul.

Your coin is a Beylik issue. It may even be Karaman.

These coins are common and often mistaken as Osman Gazi because of Nuri Pere. But Cuneyt Olcer cleared this up.

If you would like to sell this coin to me please let me know. I would be very interested.

Best wishes,
burak

iaculator

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 10:24:19 am »
i d sell if a reasonable amount is bidded.... why not?

greetings..

iaculator

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 03:07:51 am »
dear istinpolin, take a look at shagrath63150...:)

greetings..

All coins are guaranteed for eternity