Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Mamluk#1 help  (Read 1503 times)

a

Mamluk#1 help
« on: November 28, 2005, 01:13:00 pm »
Dear all,

Please help me to identify this mamluk fals: mint and ruler.
It's AE18.

Thanks,
Explorer

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Re: Mamluk#1 help
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2005, 03:43:10 pm »
Hi Explorer

This is Balog 314. Somewhat double struck.
Al Muzaffar Sayf al-Din Hajji I or in Turkish it would be El Muzaffer Seyfettin Haci I. AE Fals (with fleur-de-lis)  minted in Haleb (Aleppo). Undated.

Best wishes,
Burak

a

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 03:45:24 am »
Dear Burak,

Thank you very match. I have another question:
"fleur-de-lis" -  what is the connection between Bachri sultan and France royal symbol?

Regards,
Explorer

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 12:27:44 pm »
Hi

No one really is sure how the fleur-de-lis came to the Bahri house of the Mamluks. But I assume it has something to do with the crusades.

My only explanation would be the celebration of the Mamluk victory against French crusaders.

There has been a good discussion about this a long time ago at the ICG. Maybe you could research the archive.

Best wishes,
Burak

Offline Nassif

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 06:56:09 pm »
Mamluk sultans had their own emblem or blazon on their coinage;and in his introduction of :"The coinage of the Mamluk sultans of Egypt and Syria" Balog said:".....The Mamluk sultans introduced a new feature on the coinage:they engraved their coats of arms on their coins,mostly on the copper fulus..."...."Emblems ....appear to have been adopted by moslems already during the Crusades by Ayyubids princes...."
So the fleur de lis can be found on other coinage,especially crusades.[in my Collection i have also umayyad']
nassif

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 07:07:56 pm »
even early hebrew coinage. You know the lily?

a

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 03:37:32 am »
Thank you Nassif, Burak,

You are allways providing us with very interesting information about different types of Islamic coins.

Regards,
Explorer

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 12:06:40 am »
always here to help as I get a lot of help too

All coins are guaranteed for eternity