Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown Byzantine decanummium  (Read 657 times)

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Unknown Byzantine decanummium
« on: July 30, 2012, 05:45:03 pm »
Hi all,

I have a coin that I cannot find in Sear or the two vols of DOC that I own (2 and 5).  The coin appears to be a decanummium, and the only N-M in field that I can find is a Revolt of the Heraclii, SBV 715, but has an X on the reverse instead of I, and only one figure on the obverse.  The coin weighs 3.66 g, 18.4 mm.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
Re: Unknown Byzantine decanummium
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 05:50:56 pm »
According to Helvetica's "byzants-large-others.xls" list, I think its SB 400, DOC 200, Justin II and Sophia

Justin II and Sophia   
Decanummium   565-578   Carthage   SB 400, DOC 200   
O: DN IVSTINO ET SOFIA AG   Facing busts of Justin (HC) and Sophia (CD), cross between their heads, VITA below      
R; Large I with N to left, M, to right         
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline Tom Mullally

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 05:58:08 pm »
Wow, that was quick.  Thank you very much, it does appear to be a match.

Tom
Tom Mullally

Classical Numismatic Group

Offline Sosius

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 06:11:16 pm »
You are welcome.  I don't get to contribute much to IDs, so I jumped at the chance to help out a fellow member!
Sosius

My Gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=24203
650+ coins and about 2/3 done--I have a coin problem

Offline Abu Galyon

• Caesar
  • Change we can believe in.
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 06:21:16 pm »
SB400 (your coin) isn’t dated, but there are also folles and half-folles from the Carthage mint which share the same obverse devices (facing busts of Justin and Sophia with VITA in exergue) and which are known only for regnal year 8. So it’s a fairly safe bet that your type was also struck in the years 572/3.  

Bill R.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity