Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small greek ae pegasos and grapes  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Désidérivs

• Praetorian
    • irantik.com
Small greek ae pegasos and grapes
« on: April 14, 2011, 03:55:47 am »
Hello !
I have this small greek coin but cannot find from where it is.
 I think of Pegasos. First I was thinking of a horse with A but the "letter" looks attached to the animal. Down is a letter who can be A ou Delta or lamda.

On the other side is grapes with A ans Gamma (or lamda)...
Coin is 9,65 mm for 1.10 gr.
I had a look of many parts of greek coins, but nothing...

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Small greek ae pegasos and grapes
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 04:08:37 am »
try searching in Maroneia, Thrace.

~ Peter

Offline Désidérivs

• Praetorian
    • irantik.com
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 04:10:38 am »
I had Peter, but could'nt find with these letters...

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 08:50:37 am »
Lots of silver coinage from Maroneia that looks exactly like that.

Offline GAT

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 10:04:47 am »
The coin is from Maroneia.  Small bronzes of this type (horse forepart/single grape bunch) normally have the letters  :Greek_Mu:- :Greek_Alpha:- :Greek_Rho:- :Greek_Omega: (or just the first 2 letters), but there was a series with the letters  :Greek_Alpha:- :Greek_Gamma:- :Greek_Alpha:.  Several dozen turned up in the excavations from Maroneia so the attribution is relatively certain (see 'The Coins from Maroneia and the Classical City at Molyvoti' http://www.books.gr/ViewShopProduct.aspx?Id=6967431).  There is an interesting chapter in the book exploring the possibility that the city was renamed Agathopolis for a short period based primarily on the letters on this series of coins.

Offline Désidérivs

• Praetorian
    • irantik.com
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 10:43:58 am »
Thanks Dino and Gat. I think there is a serious way there. I will research there in Agathopolis.
you can go read this too..

http://www.uni-koeln.de/phil-fak/ifa/EpAnat/38%20pdfs%20web/038109.pdf

Many thanks again ! ;)

Offline GAT

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 11:29:01 am »
I should have referred back to the book before I posted my comment.  The proposed name for Maroneia during this period was Agathokleia, not Agathopolis.  This is explained as Lysimachos renaming the city in honour of his son Agathokles and this name remaining until the execution of Agathokles in 283/282 BC. There is a short chapter in the book dedicated to this subject, providing additional numismatic and historical evidence for renaming the city.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011, 03:39:27 pm »
the right-facing horse doesn't seem as prevelent as the ones with the forepart of the horse left though. is this perhaps a less common variety?

~ Peter

Offline Désidérivs

• Praetorian
    • irantik.com
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 02:29:50 am »
Gat: Ok I will change it. Thanks !

Peter: I hope Gat can tell that. Buy my side, I even did'nt know about this coin before he tell me !

Offline GAT

• Praetorian
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 08:59:58 pm »
After adding up the left and right facing coins for each variety, I came to the following totals (just estimates as I may have accidently skipped a few entries):

In the Edith Schoenert-Geiss study of Maroneia (Die Munzpragung von Maroneia - 1987):
Right-facing: 24 and left-facing: 5 (82% right-facing)

In Selene Psoma's study of the coins from the Maroneia excavations and the Komotini Museum (The Coins from Maroneia and the Classical City at Molyvoti - 2008):
Right-facing: 329 and left-facing 163 (67% right-facing)
Within this group, 133 coins are the 'Agathokleia' types (there were more of this variety than I had remembered) and they are all right-facing horse foreparts.  Subtracting the A-G-A coins, the remainder with the usual letters are almost evenly split between left-facing and right-facing horse-foreparts (55% right-facing).

All coins are guaranteed for eternity