Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Does it bother you?  (Read 4638 times)

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
Does it bother you?
« on: January 10, 2011, 03:25:36 pm »
I must say beforehand that I have received much, much more than I have given from this FORVM, as I still am a learning amateur. But every single time someone has replied to a query of mine, I have replied with a 'thank you' message.

I say this because a couple of months ago someone on this board asked for several references which I thought I could provide. It took me a good ten minutes to completely locate them, describe them and write the message (which, of course, I did gladly). It did itch me a little bit, however, that I didn't even get an acknowledgement from the person who had asked.

This is an old issue, I realize, but as I came across those references today, I suddenly wondered if some of you, FORVM members, who constantly share your knowledge with us feel a bit disappointed when the person involved does not say thank you...

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline cicerokid

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Does it bother you?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 03:34:36 pm »
 Does it bother you?

Yes..

I always do...I hope.

Cicerokid
Timeo Danaos afferentem coronas

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 04:01:26 pm »
do you... feel a bit disappointed when the person involved does not say thank you...

I do get disappointed with such rudeness, to the extent that that poster/person goes on my blacklist never to be helped again on any inquiry they make on the Board.  Nine key strokes...thank you.... is all it takes, yet it is beyond many to make the effort to acknowledge the assistance rendered, often at considerable effort by the more generous and courteous members of FORVM.

Offline rover1.3

• Tribunus Plebis 2012 / Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 04:01:47 pm »
Do not expect others to give more than what they are capable of.  ;D

Offline Mark Z

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Sit Julius Caesar quod vos es non.
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2011, 04:39:50 pm »
Ignasi,

This is an interesting question.

For me, at least, solving an attribution question is reward enough and I don't typically go back to see if the questioner responded.

However, as I consider FORVM one giant learning experience, I do like to check back to see if I was correct. If the original questioner has not checked in or responded, my feelings are not hurt at all. I get much more satisfaction from seeing that one of the experts has corroborated and/or added to my attribution as I'd much rather be "the worst house on a good block than the best house on a bad block.' ;)

That being said, it has been my experience that the questioner almost always (like 99.9% of the time) says 'thanks.'

It's all in your attitude! :)

mz

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2011, 05:45:40 pm »
It is disappointing especially when it comes to attributions.  It does take time to research and post pictures.  I always say thank you if I'm the one asking.  I've thought of black-listing some posters but I do enjoy trying to attribute and I do check back to make sure someone hasn't corrected me! It just comes down to courtesy.  I guess some have a hard time with English but that shouldn't be an excuse either.

I also don't appreciate people who give a rating on coins in the galleries at less then a 4.  I mean if it is an outstanding coin give it a 5, if you really like it give it a 4 but when people rate it at a 1 or 2 it gets a bit trashy.  What's the point, people know the coin is not EF why belittle them?  If you don't like it don't rate it.

Other then that most (99%) of the people on here are very appreciative of any assistance given...

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2011, 08:12:33 pm »
Manners cost nothing, and I think that saying thanks is the least someone can do.  After all, they have just had the coin identified, and in some cases valued, free of charge.  Surely that is worth a little "thank-you"?

Ironically, this question also highlights how easy it is to upset someone on a forum, and therefore why I don't visit the "Happy Birthday" thread.  I wouldn't want to say "Happy Birthday" to lots of people, and then because of work commitments not check in for a week or two, and leave someone feeling like I had deliberately missed them.

regards

Mark

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2011, 08:26:57 pm »
I agree, but one must realize that this person may not realize that they are troubling you.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Lloyd Taylor

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2011, 08:36:34 pm »
I agree, but one must realize that this person may not realize that they are troubling you.

????????  ...  this is simply a question of manners and common courtesy.  Unless of course you were raised in the trailer park, then you might not be aware of the existence such things!

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2011, 01:31:22 am »
Yes, it is very irritating.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Pekka K

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2011, 03:30:09 am »
I feel it other way around.
I have the fun to identify coins
with bonus keeping fingers clean.

Pekka K

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2011, 04:53:48 am »
I must say I wasn't too irritated that time. I'm sure whoever it was just forgot to reply, and no big deal. As I say, I'm still a very poor contributor to theis Forum on account of my inexperience, so I'm just happy to be of any help when I can.

But some people here spend more time helping others than getting questions answered for themselves, and these people (we all know who they are) should always be thanked!!

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2011, 02:45:53 pm »
You will always have some unfriendly users. I myself am more irritated by people tending to repeat the opinion of previous contributers without adding anything new to a discussion.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Galaxy

• Consul
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2011, 02:55:10 pm »
I agree with Lars, it is irritating when people simply repeat the content of previous posts without adding any new information

:afro:

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 03:10:14 pm »
You will always have some unfriendly users. I myself am more irritated by people tending to repeat the opinion of previous contributers without adding anything new to a discussion.

Lars
I agree with Lars, it is irritating when people simply repeat the content of previous posts without adding any new information

LOL

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2011, 03:59:10 pm »

????????  ...  this is simply a question of manners and common courtesy.  Unless of course you were raised in the trailer park, then you might not be aware of the existence such things!

I'm sure in some countries, they don't share the the same views on manners.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2011, 07:50:44 pm »

Lars

LOL
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline mihali84

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2011, 07:53:31 pm »
  How about those responses, without adding even an agreement, just a quote of someone else's post  ;D
A man's character is his fate- Heraclitus
My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=23798

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2011, 08:03:29 pm »
For me the only thing that is irritating about the lack of response from someone is I'm not sure if they saw the information or attribution help I posted. Without an acknowlegement of some kind I may never know if I wasted my time or not. :/

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2011, 03:01:18 pm »
For me it's kind of sport to test my knowledge. Moreover I always look at threads in which the identification has already been given by s.o. else, just to see if I would have known the answer myself. Non responsive people are usually newbe's or ephemerons.

Frans

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2011, 06:15:19 pm »
I'm sure in some countries, they don't share the the same views on manners.

I am sure that having the good manners to say "Thank-you" is pretty universal.

Alex.

Billy Kingsley

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2011, 02:43:28 pm »
I sincerly hope it wasn't me. My participation is spotty at best and I can go months without getting on the Forvm Forum  ;D

Not for lack of interest, but because every time I pull up the board I want to buy more stuff for my collection, and it's just easier to not tempt fate!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2011, 04:31:21 pm »
It is better not to be bothered.

I often help with attributions, sometimes adding extensive historical or numismatic notes. I do this for the benefit of a wider audience who may be interested. Often I spend an hour digging out information, finding photos, building a story, then I write the message and then I move on. Perhaps the original poster drops a thank-you, perhaps not, but to be honest I don't keep track because my pleasure has been got from providing an answer to the wider world. I really am not aware whether my replies are acknowledged, so I can't possibly be hurt.

But exactly the opposite happens sometimes. I also pose questions or engage in debates. Sometimes I have multiple helpful replies and to be honest I'm not sure whether I always individually respond on each of them. I sometimes think of writing a generic "thank you to all who replied" note but that seems insincere and impersonal. If something strikes me as worth special comment I write back to the author, but sometimes there's an answer where I think "yes that confirms what I've been thinking, and it tallies with what others are saying" and for one or other reason distraction sets in, I move on, and I don't think of responding personally. As I get many multiple messages on numismatic topics each day, there is a greater-than-zero chance of writing to me and not always getting a personal response. Believe me, it's not personal. I've trouble enough with my scattered memory keeping track of many people who've written me with a question or comment which simply demands a reply from me, to be also able to reply to many more people who have written with information intended to be helpful.

In response to the original poster, if "it" does bother you, then I would encourage you spend the anxious energy in further numismatic research and in writing even more helpful online responses. Forgive, please continue to debate, but don't be hurt if you don't always get individual replies. There are practical reasons and they work both ways.

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2011, 07:33:58 pm »
Being the original poster, I feel obliged to respond. As I said in the thread, I'm not bothered, because I am a poor contributor to the FORVM, my knowledge being still very limited.

Actually, I started this thread thinking about people like you, Andrew, who contribute so extensively to the discussions and from whom we learn so much. I wondered if after a particularly lengthy reply to someone you didn't even get a thank you note, if it kind of itched you. But most people said it doesn't.

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2011, 11:57:42 pm »
Actually, I started this thread thinking about people like you, Andrew, who contribute so extensively to the discussions and from whom we learn so much. I wondered if after a particularly lengthy reply to someone you didn't even get a thank you note, if it kind of itched you. But most people said it doesn't.

As a rule of thumb, generally those with most to share are also the very busiest in terms of numismatic messages flying back and forward, so liable (a) not to notice whether a helpful reply was acknowledged and (b) be in danger of themselves breaching normal courtesies by sometimes not acknowledging the help given by others. Outside Forum, when I communicate with the sorts of experts who write the coin books we all rely on, or who work in museums, the same applies; I may be asked a question and provide an answer, never to hear an acknowledgement. Yet perhaps a year later in a note on another topic my correspondent comments on my earlier response, so it did reach its target. Of course it's best to be courteous, but when writing and receiving a large flood of messages sometimes stuff slips through. Sometimes, by accident, your message never gets read by the intended recipient, whether filtered as spam or just lost in the flood of communication.

It's best not to get hung-up about it.

What does bother me is when a helpful reply is given and the original questioner specially goes out of his way to annoy the responder, to question his/her credibility, or to complain about a reply not being 100% on-topic etc. This sometimes happens with a certain category of new subscriber (t....) so I'm more than usually wary of replying to those with low message counts, or in replying to threads where it's evident the original-poster is in an irritable and unwelcoming mood. There are anyway diplomatic ways of dealing with responses which you were not really seeking (thank the writer for their "interesting" response covering "an angle you had not been considering" and then say no more); it doesn't help to try and argue with someone who is trying to be helpful!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity