Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ERIC: The Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins on Numiswiki  (Read 31335 times)

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
ERIC: The Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins on Numiswiki
« on: August 16, 2010, 04:21:01 pm »
On August 7, 2010, Rasiel Suarez graciously released his standard reference work "ERIC", or The Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins (First edition) to the public under a Creative Commons license, in anticipation of the second edition soon to be released. I contacted him for permission to upload the 600+ page tome to numiswiki in a searchable text format. He agreed to allow me to post the book.

Over the past few days, I have been hard at work on building an HTML format framework on Numiswiki into which I am entering the text of ERIC. I have also extracted the beautiful, full color images included in the book, and I am posting them along with the text in a format that looks remarkably similar to a printed copy of the book. Yet this version of The Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins will have an added advantage of having a clickable interface with the table of contents and list of all emperors and other personages included in the roster of Roman imperial coinage at the left hand side of each page.

This will be an ongoing work. With 600+ pages of text and photographs, and with 200+ emperors, empresses, usurpers and the like, it will take some time to complete. This week, I am pleased to tell you that all the front and end matter of the book has been processed, extracted, typed, edited and uploaded onto Numiswiki, as well as the rulers from Augustus to Vespasian.

Here is a list of clickable links to what is currently available. The following links will take you to that specific page in ERIC. Following are the working links to the rulers I have already uploaded. They, too, are clickable links that will take you straight to their ERIC page. Please check it out and let me know what you think.

ERIC Title Page 
Introduction
About Roman Coins
Denominations
Coins of Other Ancient Cultures
Identifying Roman Coins
How To Use This Book
Mintmarks
Mint Map
Pricing And Grading
Bibliography
Reference Catalogs Cited
Coin Terms Used
Glossary
Rarity Tables
Index of Rulers
Photography Credits
Additional Web Resources
Imperial Catalog:
AUGUSTUS,LIVA,AGRIPPA,NERO CLAUDIUS DRUSUS,GERMANICUS,AGRIPPINA I,TIBERIUS,DRUSUS,ANTONIA,CALIGULA,CLAUDIUS I,BRITANNICUS,AGRIPPINA II,NERO,GALBA,CLODIUS MACER,OTHO,VITELLIUS,VESPASIAN

The rest of the ruler links already appear on the table of contents but are not yet active. I will continue to update this thread as more pages are added. If you have any feedback or suggestions, please post them here.

Respectfully,
Danny Jones

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
Re: ERIC: The Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins on Numiswiki
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 03:50:13 am »
The Flavians have been added. Imperial Catalog links From AUGUSTUS - JULIA TITI are now up and working.

Respectfully,
Danny Jones

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 03:52:01 am »
That's very generous, and I'm sure it will benefit many collectors.  I will have to find time this weekend to read it more carefully.  

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 06:24:04 am »
The adoptive emperor section has been added to the online ERIC database on Numiswiki.
All front matter is up and working. The following is a list of rulers in the Imperial Catalog that are now active.
I am adding pages everyday (in chronological order), so check back soon if the page you would like to access is not yet available.

Respectfully,
Danny Jones

Julio-Claudian Dynasty           Ambitious Governors        Flavian Dynasty         Adoptive Emperors        
AUGUSTUSGALBAVESPASIANNERVA
LIVACLODIUS MACERDOMITILLATRAJAN
AGRIPPAOTHOTITUSPLOTINA
NERO CLAUDIUS DRUSUSVITELLIUSDOMITIANMARCIANA
GERMANICUSDOMITIAMATIDIA
AGRIPPINA IJULIA TITIHADRIAN
TIBERIUSSABINA
DRUSUSAELIUS
ANTONIAANTONINUS PIUS
CALIGULAFAUSTINA I
CLAUDIUS IMARCUS AURELIUS
BRITANNICUSFAUSTINA II
AGRIPPINA IILUCIUS VERUS
NEROLUCILLA
COMMODUS
CRISPINA

Click Here to visit The Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins Main Page

Offline Dino

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Quaestor
  • Caesar
  • Anyone have change for a hemidrachm?
    • My Gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 08:20:06 am »
Nice work

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 04:14:35 pm »
The link list in the post above was corrupted by extra BB code, rendering the links unusable. I have corrected the code and the links should all now work. Of course, you can also access the individual pages from the Table of Contents on any part of the online ERIC section of Numiswiki.

Respectfully,
Danny Jones

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 03:26:43 pm »
I added two sections to the ERIC database: The Year of Five Emperors and the Severan Period. There are still a LOT of pages to add, but progress on the online ERIC is now going faster. Now that I have written the basic HTML code for the pages, I can plug in the text fairly quickly. This however requires OCR for the original files and text editing. I also have to extract all images, resize them to fit the page, upload them to the server and individually insert the image code into the correct spot on each page. Needless to say, this is a time consuming process. But, today I was able to add a total of 22 pages. The following links can now be accessed online via ERIC on Numiswiki. Enjoy!

Respectfully,
Danny Jones

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 03:35:16 pm »
If there are any glaring errors or non-working pages (of the working links listed), please let me know.

Thanks,
Danny

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 01:04:04 am »
That is very impressive.

As soon as ERIC I was published, Rasiel Suarez established a site for corrections and typos.  There were many corrections; most were not critical, but a few were important.  Did you have access to those?

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 02:30:41 am »
As soon as ERIC I was published, Rasiel Suarez established a site for corrections and typos.  There were many corrections; most were not critical, but a few were important.  Did you have access to those?

Comparing the errata and updated notes page on his website to the current release of volume one, I find that Rasiel has already made the necessary corrections to typos, misprints, and even photos in the online public release. This is the version that I am posting, and as such should be welcome by owners of a printed copy which contains such errors.

There may well be "second-hand" errors created by mis-recognized  text in the OCR software. Case-in-point: The OCR software I am using seems to convert all apostrophes into quotation marks.  I am doing my best to correct these as I go, however hundreds of lines of HTML code seem to run together after several hours of staring at the screen, and I'm sure I've missed some. I will re-read and edit each page before I am done.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Danny

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2010, 12:42:36 pm »
Fantastic!
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline ancientone

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2010, 01:30:17 pm »
Great job Danny!  This will be helpful to everyone!

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 02:02:23 pm »
I just found four new copies and one used copy of ERIC in my garage.  They have been added to the catalog.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2010, 03:28:42 pm »
A few more pages have been added today. As we get into the late Roman coins which show various symbols in exergue and the coin fields, ERIC has used a few special non-unicode symbols that can neither be converted by OCR to unicode text nor extracted as an image for placement on Numiswiki. These will be represented in the pages (for now) with the ` symbol.

Here are the links to the pages added today:

Respectfully,
Danny Jones

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 09:30:03 am »

Comparing the errata and updated notes page on his website to the current release of volume one, I find that Rasiel has already made the necessary corrections to typos, misprints, and even photos in the online public release. This is the version that I am posting, and as such should be welcome by owners of a printed copy which contains such errors.

There may well be "second-hand" errors created by mis-recognized  text in the OCR software. Case-in-point: The OCR software I am using seems to convert all apostrophes into quotation marks.  I am doing my best to correct these as I go, however hundreds of lines of HTML code seem to run together after several hours of staring at the screen, and I'm sure I've missed some. I will re-read and edit each page before I am done.

Thanks for pointing this out.
Danny

Thanks.  Then this will be an excellent addition to the material available on line.  May I congratulate you on your efforts, Rasiel Suarez for writing the material in the first place and allowing it to appear on line, and Joe for hosting it!

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 03:14:42 pm »
Home > Catalog > Coin Books and Supplies > Roman Books > BKERIC

The Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins (ERIC)
The Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins (ERIC) combines a comprehensive listing of bust and reverse types, legends and mints for all imperial rulers from the time of Augustus through the downfall of Rome as well as an introduction to the Byzantine corpus.

ERIC also includes a full featured catalog listing major and minor issues for this time period listing a total of over 8,000 types. Color photographs, historical biographies and an introductory tutorial serve to make this the most user friendly book available on the subject.

BKERIC.  The Encyclopedia of Roman Imperial Coins (ERIC) by Rasiel Suarez, hardbound with dust jacket, 643 pages, January 2005, 1st edition; $80.00

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 04:22:31 pm »
Working mainly on retyping scrambled OCR text today, I was able to add a few pages. The following links are now active:

Respectfully,
Danny Jones

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2010, 02:42:38 pm »

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2010, 02:59:20 pm »
ONLINE ERIC UPDATE:
There was some code that rendered a few of the links unusable in the table of contents. I've spent the past 12 hours manually updating all 200+ webpages available in the online ERIC. The bug has now been fixed. As I near the end of the list of over 200 rulers, I hope to complete this project and have the entire "ERIC I" up and running on Numiswiki by the end of this week.

Danny

Online Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2010, 06:23:06 pm »
Thanks for all the hard work putting ERIC online.  When you are done, please let me know how many hours you spent on it and I will put some Forum dollars in your account. 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity