Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Claudius II  (Read 1576 times)

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Claudius II
« on: September 26, 2008, 05:49:32 am »
Hi!
I have this coin that it like to be of Claudius II, but legend is very different and too many large to be of Claudius. I don't think it is an imitative coin, because quality of image is good, but I am a collector of byzantine trachys and I know not much roman coin, that I am beginning the study of roman imperial coins. What is this coin? Thank you.
Antvwala

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Claudius II
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2008, 06:10:50 am »
I admit I can't read the legend but I think it might be Quintillus, the curly hair would fit.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 09:13:14 am »
Thank you, Andreas: legend is similar. Reverse like to see Fortvna. Is this coin imitative?

Antvwala

Offline Steve Minnoch

• Tribunus Plebis 2007
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 09:22:44 am »
It is hard to be sure, but I think it is official (I am by no means certain though - If an imitation it is a good one, if official it's on the poor quality side).
The mint is different to the one you found though - your coin (or at least it's model) is from Rome.

IMP C M AVR CL QVINTILLVS AVG
FORTVNA REDVX
Z in right field (officina 7)

The bust seems to be draped & cuirassed, seen by the front, which would make it Normanby 1176 (23 specimens in that hoard) = RIC 20.

The attached image has two coins from the Normanby hoard, but with different bust types, #1176 not being illustrated.

Steve

Offline antvwala

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 09:33:59 am »
Thank you, Steve. You are right! That is. :)
Antvwala

Offline Gladius

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 03:53:34 pm »
The coin is definately an imitation.  Best regards, Finn Johannessen

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 04:19:07 pm »
Hi,

I'm with Steve on this. The coin of Antvwala is an official Rome mint product ans is consistant with the Rome Normanby specimens posted. The authors of Normanby & Cunetio identified that there were some very poor fabric coins in this particular period.

The style is so different from the second coin posted by Antvwala because, as Steve noted, it is from a different mint - Milan, a mint that produced some very neat coins at this time.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Gladius

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 09:41:16 am »
The coin is not an official Rome mint product- it is very far from being an official Rome mint product.  It is an ancient imitation.  Best regards, Finn Johannessen

All coins are guaranteed for eternity