Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Need Help Identifying Sellwood Type - Mithradates II  (Read 1452 times)

Lucius Vorenus

Need Help Identifying Sellwood Type - Mithradates II
« on: July 07, 2008, 10:48:58 am »
Hello everyone. Last time I was around Forvm I do not believe the Parthian thread existed, but I'm glad to see it's here now. Anyway, I've spent time looking through the Sellwood types that I believe my coin belongs to, but I haven't been able to pinpoint it's exact type. I need help.

Attached are photos that I've just taken of the obverse and reverse. Also, I believe the coin is an AR drachm; and its weight and measure are 19mm/3.9gms. I do know that it is Mithradates II

Lucius Vorenus

Re: Need Help Identifying Sellwood Type - Mithradates II
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 10:54:59 am »
I just remembered that I should mention that there are two areas of the reverse of the coin that I've had trouble matching up with the examples on that Parthia.com site. The first is the archer's seat; it seems to me to look like a basket or something with a weave while the examples mostly show a chair that is blank in the middle. And the second, that there is no writing on the bottom side of the square; it appears to simply be a straight line while in the examples the writing goes around all four sides...

tkmallon

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 11:30:10 am »
Mithradates I (not II), Sellwood 11.1

Lucius Vorenus

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 11:42:54 am »
Excellent, I see it now. Thank you for the quick response time. The seller I bought it from, on eBay if I remember correctly, stated that it was Mithradates II. I didn't think to check Mithradates I... Sellwood 11.1 it is then

Lucius Vorenus

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 12:14:08 pm »
Anyone have any idea what its monetary value might be? I paid approximately $80.00 for it probably a year or two ago.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity