Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Weight guide for denarii?  (Read 1663 times)

KD

Weight guide for denarii?
« on: December 28, 2005, 06:26:06 pm »
Hello,

Does anyone know of a quick general guide for weights of Roman denarii through the ages?  I'd like to have a quick reference - also, if you could give me an idea of how much weight varied in different times, and as of what point I should just assume that a coin is not authentic.  I know that Van Meter has one, but it's only as of the 4th century.

Thanks

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
Re: Weight guide for denarii?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 05:31:38 am »
Not sure what you are looking for but have you read Wayne Salyes books?  From what I can find out the Denarius started around 211 BC with a weight of about 4.5 grams.  It slowly dropped to 3 grams by 296 AD, when the denomination disappeared (becoming the Argenteus or siliqua).

These web sites might also help you.
[BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]
UNRV Roman coin denominations
Thayer Denarius (weight in grains)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 02:50:04 pm »
I believe that before Nero, the weight was (or should have been) 1/72 of a Roman Pound. Since the Roman Pound was approx. 327 grams, that gives a weight of 4.55 gms. Nero's reforms then made the Denarius 1/96 of a Roman Pound or 3.41 gms. In practice they cheated by slightly reducing the average weight. As time went on the silver was de-based which would have some affect on the weight. However, in actual fact, weights for individual coins seem to have varied wildly. I have quite a few Denarii stretching across the entire time period that they were issued and even allowing for weight loss due to wear I can't detect any trends in the weights. Of course, taken in large numbers it may be that such trends can be seen, but that wouldn't help you or I authenticate an individual coin. For these reasons, I don't think you will find any "tables of weights" that you are asking about.

Where weighing can help authentication is in identifying fourees - ancient copper cored counterfeits - which will be of noticably lower weight.

Hope that helps
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

KD

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 03:26:47 pm »
I does help indeed.  I had hoped that there was something a little more systematic about it that could help with identification.  I find that there is wide variance, including many denarii more or less post-Antoninus Pius being closer to 2 grams, whereas my Republican coins are closer to 4.  This had worried me.

KD

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 03:27:45 pm »
These are wonderful sites - thank you.  And while I had heard of Wayne Salyes's books, your post convinced me finally to buy a couple.  Thanks again.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 06:04:31 pm »
Correction: I've just been informed by someone who knows a lot more than me, that the weight before Nero's reforms was 1/84 of a Roman Pound or 3.86 grams.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Marius

• Consul
    • 249-253AD  Four Bad Years
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005, 06:54:04 pm »
A book by Kenneth Harl named "Coinage in the Roman Economy, 300 B.C. to A.D. 700" has average weights for denarii, antoninianii and Egyptian tetradrachms for each reign.  It's a great reference book (or good for a read too).  If you have a specific emperor in mind I can look up the data.  In addition to average weight, the book also gives silver content (in percent).
Richard
Richard Marius Beale
Four Bad Years:  http://sonic.net/~marius1/mysite/

All coins are guaranteed for eternity