Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Dictionary Of Roman Coins  (Read 9956 times)

Offline Sorin Teodor

• Website Developer
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Praetorian
  • Building your favorite coin website since 2002.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Dictionary Of Roman Coins
« on: November 04, 2005, 03:47:07 pm »
We are trying to put a scanned version of the "Dictionary Of Roman Coins" into NumisWiki. Every entry from this dictionary will be a page in Numiswiki. For example, this is what you will get for "Acilia":
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=acilia
At the bottom you may see a link to the original page. You also have a search function.
As you may notice, the scans are sliced up so that they can be integrated into NumisWiki.
I will generate one page for each entry, right now you can only see Acilia as an example.
Do you have any questions or suggestions for this project?

Thanks,
Sorin
Sorin Teodor
Website Developer & Sys Admin
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Dictionary Of Roman Coins
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2005, 04:43:29 pm »
I typed the text, please post more. I have no skills, but am willing to work;)

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline Sorin Teodor

• Website Developer
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Praetorian
  • Building your favorite coin website since 2002.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2005, 04:42:58 pm »
The dictionary is now integrated in NumisWiki. I hope you find it useful. It has more than 4000 entries and it's SEARCHABLE.
Sorin Teodor
Website Developer & Sys Admin
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline esnible

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • gorgon coins
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 06:18:06 pm »
The Dictionary entries overwrote the Historia Numorum entries.  For example, the 'Iconium' entry in Historia Numorum now points to the Dictionary.

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 06:58:19 pm »
References in Numiswiki will be assimilated.  Resistance is futile.  From Star Trek, of course, but it applies here as well.  Numiswiki really is one big reference that assimilates all.  Links to page titles automatically override internal document links. 

The Iconium page right now looks like a Dictionary of Roman Coins (DRC) page, but someday the DRC entry may be only a small part of that page.  Ideally someone will copy the two lines from Historia Numorum onto that page and it will be both.  And maybe more.  Maybe someone someday will add a 15 page history of Iconium

The Iconium DRC page has links to Lycaonia.  Those links do not go to a DRC entry, they go to the Lycaonia page which is right now the unadulterated Historia Numorum page.  But that page may change too.  We could also copy and paste the Iconium DRC entry onto the Lycaonia Historia Numorum page below the Iconium paragraph.   But perhaps the two line entry for Iconium on that page with a link to Iconium's own page is better. 

You can, anyone can, change the link in the Iconium Historia Numorum index entry link back to pointing at the Lycaonia Historia Numorum Page Iconium paragraph.   And perhaps we should.  Perhaps the Historia Numorum index should remain the Historia Numorum only index.  But every time someone adds a new page that matches an index entry the auto link will have to be manually changed back (a difficult task to keep up with). 

The DRC and NumisWiki are merged.   They have been assimilated.  Resistance is futile (or difficult anyway). 
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Plancus

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2005, 10:57:57 am »
Greetings!

Numiswiki is a gread idea! I'm no expert in this field to contribute with an article or something, still a beginner, but one thing I can do is to copy/type, that's easy  ;D  I've alread contributed typing the PLANCVS COS entry (hmm, I wonder why I chose that one  :D )

One question, though. During my typing, I've found many "æ" occurrences in the text. Should I try to insert this character there, or just type "ae" as a substitution? Thanks in advance!

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2005, 12:22:13 pm »
I just type ae.  If you know how to make the symbol and have a strong desire.  Feel free.  :)
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Bill S

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2005, 04:06:52 pm »
One question, though. During my typing, I've found many "æ" occurrences in the text. Should I try to insert this character there, or just type "ae" as a substitution?
To type Æ, hold the ALT key down and on the number pad type 0198 - to type æ hold the ALT key down and on the number pad type 0230. 

These are derived from the Web ASCII Chart, which you should be able to find with a web search.  Many other characters are included in the chart as well.

Plancus

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2005, 09:17:29 pm »
Greetings again,

Thanks for the suggestions and guidelines. One other question. I was copying the article about Valens, and characters like the "chi-ro" and others appeared. I assume they may also appear sometimes in other articles. Are there characters in the ASCII Chart that could match these (or an way of writing them)?

Lawrence Woolslayer

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 10:26:35 am »
http://www.ramsch.org/martin/uni/fmi-hp/iso8859-1.html

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/sgml/entities.html#sym

These special characters begin with "&" and end with ";"

To use, goto CODE side and insert were desired.  Some editors have capability to add symbols while typing with ALT key depressed: normal to not use beginning and ending markers in this case.

Offline wolfgang336

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Aut Caesar Aut Nullus
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2005, 08:55:22 pm »
If we wanted to post an article on the interpretation of a particular type (ie. Discuss arguments etc.), should we start a new article or build off of the basic entry from the Dictionary?

Evan

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2005, 06:35:50 pm »
The decision should be based on the desired page title.  If there is already a page with the title, use the existing page.  If it is a new title, use a new page.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Aarmale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 04:49:26 pm »
NumisWiki has a large verity of words, but some are very short.  For example, I was recently looking up "Aphlaston" on Google, and the NumisWiki was the first option. It said
The high upcurving stern of Greek oared warships.
I could have used a bit more information about this.
Gallery: http://tinyurl.com/aarmale
היינו דאמרי אינשי: טבא חדא פילפלתא חריפתא ממלי צנא קרי

All coins are guaranteed for eternity