Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constans II or Constantinus IV tremissis?  (Read 1031 times)

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
Constans II or Constantinus IV tremissis?
« on: December 09, 2020, 02:09:40 pm »
Hi all,
This week i received this nice tremissis, which was sold as a Constans II. However, i noted that the Constantinus IV tremissises have the same obverse and reverse
How can one tell them apart, and which one do I have? Thanks in advance!

Weight: 1.41 g
Obverse: dN CONSTANTINuS PP AV
Reverse: VICTORIA AVGuS
Mintmark: CONOB

Gr Luuk

Offline Simon

• Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Tetartera Collector
    • Byzantine Tetartera
Re: Constans II or Constantinus IV tremissis?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 03:46:04 pm »
Constantinus IV Do you mean  Constantine IV?  If so, Sear says  the sons coinage  have blundered or abbreviated obverse legends and tend to be of a cruder style.
 No clear cut answer.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=5633 My main collection of Tetartera. Post reform coinage.

Offline Luuk S

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 12:56:02 pm »
Yes Constantine IV. It doesn't appear crude or blundered to me, so that would mean that its indeed a Constans II?

Offline byzcoincoll

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2020, 03:40:42 pm »
It is a Constans II tremissis. They are not always distinguishable, but yours shows clear stylistic features of Constans II coinage.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2020, 07:02:34 pm »
I agree with byzcoincoll.  The reverse lettering is typical of Constans II.  Especially the oversized B in CONOB.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity