Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Campania Hyria info  (Read 2608 times)

Offline Nathan P

• Praetorian
Campania Hyria info
« on: April 11, 2018, 10:34:25 am »
I literally just picked up this coin. There is little to no information about Hyria (more common spelling?) available on the web. Does anyone know anything about this town's history? I wonder how in the world they can date this coin to 405-400 BC, which seems kind of specific. Also, do you think this was an official Fourree given the quality of the design? Thanks!

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Campania Hyria info
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 11:18:20 am »
You'll want to consult Keith Rutter's book, Campanian Coinages: 475-380 BC (Edinburgh, 1979).  He lays out the chronology there, but mostly follows Sambon: https://archive.org/details/lesmonnaiesanti00sambgoog

If you are interested in the iconography, you might consider my book.  Although the catalog is strictly bronze coinage, the bulk of the book is a study of the iconography: http://www.archaeopress.com/public/displayProductDetail.asp?id=%7B630D98AF-05CE-4C17-B530-6CD7DF4DA048%7D . We follow Rutter's dating, though that might change when we catalog the silver coinage, depending on any new studies.

Nice coin!

Offline Nathan P

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 11:51:29 am »
Thanks so much for your help!

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 01:03:10 pm »
Nick and Nico's book is the 'go to' for information regarding the Man-faced Bull, highly recommended.

For a more specific history of Hyria itself you may want to find a copy of Pasquale J. Simonelli's 'Hyria: A Lost City-State.

You will also find a Hyrian didrachm and some brief information in the Magna Graecia section of my gallery (link below).
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-91459

- Peter

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 02:48:51 pm »

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 03:17:09 pm »
For a more specific history of Hyria itself you may want to find a copy of Pasquale J. Simonelli's 'Hyria: A Lost City-State.

Hi folks,

I remember reading a book about the history of Hyria a few years ago. I think this was the book. It is an excellent book.

The book explains why archaeologists have never found any ruins of Hyria, because they don't exist. According to a current theory widely accepted among modern scholars, in antiquity, the cities of Hyria and Nola were located very close to one another. During one of the Punic Wars, Hyria sided with the Carthaginians, and Nola sided with the Romans (who won the war). After the war ended, the Romans punished the city of Hyria by revoking its city charter. They basically revoked Hyria's right to exist as a city. The Romans forced Hyria to merge with Nola, and Nola essentially "gobbled up" Hyria when it grew in size over the years. That explains why archaeologists can't find any ruins of Hyria. They are looking for something that doesn't exist. It's only a theory, but it makes sense.

Those 2 cities have personal significance to me because both of my maternal grandparents came from the town of Maddaloni, which is located outside of Naples (Neapolis). Maddaloni is only a few miles from Nola. It is right down the road. If the above theory is correct, then both cities (Hyria and Nola) are/were located only a few miles from Maddaloni, my maternal grandparents' home town. That is why I am so interested in Campania coins, and, more specifically, coins issued in Nola and Hyria. My ancestors may have minted and/or held those coins.

And I deliberately use the phrase "issued in Nola and Hyria" in the previous paragraph because many modern scholars feel that much of Campania's coinage, especially its silver coinage, was actually minted in Neapolis (Naples) for the other Campanian cities. According to this theory, there was a centralization of the mints. At the very least, there was significant die sharing.

Meepzorp

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 03:21:15 pm »

Offline Nathan P

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 03:23:44 pm »
Thanks everyone for the insight and links. Very interesting stuff. I'm going to do some research on my own as well and will share it if I come up with anything new or interesting.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity