Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Carausius - Legend, Mintmark, and Portrait Type Sequences, Rarity, and Dating  (Read 4505 times)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
I am working on an update to the legend, mintmark, and portrait type sequences, rarity and dating for the coinage of Carausius. My effort is based on the sequence and dating first established by P.H. Webb in "The Linchmere Hoard" in NC 1925, pp. 173 - 235, updated by him in The Roman Imperial Coinage, Volume V, Part 2 in 1933 and refined by R.A.G. Carson in "The Sequence-marks on the Coinage of Carausius and Allectus" in Essays Baldwin (1971), pp. 57 - 65. Changes to Carson's dating are primarily based on recognizing Carausius' three portrait types and their sequence, identified by C.E. King in "The Unmarked Coins of Carausius" in BNJ 54 (1984), pp. 1 - 9. An adaption of the relevant portion of King's article is also provided.

Please visit the NumisWiki Carausius page to see the effort so far. It is still a work in progress. Please comment, discuss and advice corrections or additional information here. Please advise if you know of any work that has been done on this since Carson's article. There are some unsolved issues noted and I hope we can discuss them too. Thanks.  

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=Carausius

I suggest scrolling down and reading about the portrait types first.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Hi,

There are some problems with the King article used as the main source but it is generaly a sound paper, given its date/age. I will endeavour next week to add Rouen portraits to Wiki article, they are very distinct. I will also try to distill the other portraits, the SP and SC unmarked are often quite distinct long necked. I would also use this as a reminder of my FORVM gallery of Carausius by RIC number.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
I did notice that the second, middle reign, portrait types may get more long necked and tetrarchic over time. I thought about splitting them into two sub types, but I decided it was not necessary for dating the coins, which is my main goal.  Same applies to the Rouen portrait types.  I thought about adding a section on them too, and it is a good idea (thanks in advance for doing it), but my main intent is sequence and dating. 

Please also look at the sequences, rarity, and dates, and my questions and share your expertise.

Thanks Mauses!

Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Callimachus

• Caesar
A simple spelling error that probably would not be caught by a spell-check:

"The middle reign portrait is accompanied by legends begging IMP CARAVSIVS "

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Thanks. I fixed the spelling. BTW it is a wiki so you could click edit and make changes too. 

I also did my first revision - already.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
...I would also use this as a reminder of my FORVM gallery of Carausius by RIC number.

Regards,

Mauseus

I added a link to your Carausius gallery on the NumisWiki page.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
I had another look at the portraits and it seems the really long neck portraits are all S-P / -.  I think that suggests they were not struck alongside the S-P / C but more likely at a different mint
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Hi,

Several years ago I started a paper cataloguing the SP and SC coins without a mintmark in the exergue. I think that they are from a peripatetic mint located with the court of Carausius and not at the L or C location.

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Interesting. Thanks.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS