Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Brief Self Introduction  (Read 1410 times)

AvP

Brief Self Introduction
« on: February 24, 2015, 07:06:17 am »
Hi,

AvP stands for "Albert von Pietengau" or "Albert I.", Bishop of Regensburg from 1246-1259.
1250 was the year of death of the famous empereor (Kaiser) of the Sacrum Romanum Imperium (SRE)
Frederick II. ("stupor mundi").
Albert I., who apparently tried to please Frederick's opponent pope Innozenz IV., was infamous for the assassination attempt regarding Frederick's son Konrad IV. in Regensburg.

The reasen however that I have choosen the nick AvP has nothing to do with this. Of course not.
I don't even live in Regensburg but in Cologne. My birthplace is Judenburg (Austria), which can be translated as "Castle of the Jews", where a nice gold coin was minted in the 14. century.

My profession is chemist. Since yesterday I am 55. My interest for numismatics results from my passion for the high and late middle ages (Europe and Near East).

Please apologize my English that is surely not the best!

Best regards
Roland

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Brief Self Introduction
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 12:56:30 pm »
Hi,

AvP stands for "Albert von Pietengau" or "Albert I.", Bishop of Regensburg from 1246-1259.
1250 was the year of death of the famous empereor (Kaiser) of the Sacrum Romanum Imperium (SRE)
Frederick II. ("stupor mundi").
Albert I., who apparently tried to please Frederick's opponent pope Innozenz IV., was infamous for the assassination attempt regarding Frederick's son Konrad IV. in Regensburg.

The reasen however that I have choosen the nick AvP has nothing to do with this. Of course not.
I don't even live in Regensburg but in Cologne. My birthplace is Judenburg (Austria), which can be translated as "Castle of the Jews", where a nice gold coin was minted in the 14. century.

My profession is chemist. Since yesterday I am 55. My interest for numismatics results from my passion for the high and late middle ages (Europe and Near East).

Please apologize my English that is surely not the best!

Best regards
Roland

Hi AvP welcome on this medieval corner of this forum..

Best regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

AvP

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 06:52:22 am »
Thanks!

Since the main deity here says that there is no reasen to apologize for bad English I apologize for apologizing. ;)

What the hell is this: after I have modified and sent the pictures I can see them only when I am logged in ??? :o

I also tried to install an avatar. "NO AVATAR OR TOO LARGE" was the message...

Can anybody confirm that I'm going insane? ;D  :X:  :circleplus: :X: :circleplus: :X:

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 07:12:34 am »
Thanks!

Since the main deity here says that there is no reasen to apologize for bad English I apologize for apologizing. ;)
What the hell is this: after I have modified and sent the pictures I can see them only when I am logged in ??? :o

I also tried to install an avatar. "NO AVATAR OR TOO LARGE" was the message...

Can anybody confirm that I'm going insane? ;D  :X:  :circleplus: :X: :circleplus: :X:

Welcome!

The avatar limits are a bit tricky - I recall its something like 80 pixels wide or thereabouts. But with a little messing about everyone manages in time, and then its done forever.

Pictures are a resource for members, whilst text is publicly searchable. So I guess just stay logged in.

Although not currently a collector of medieval coinage, I've a thing about Anglo-Saxon pennies, so beautifully made. Hence my next collection may be centred on the Athelreds etc. So its nice to see new members with medieval interests.

AvP

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 09:49:10 am »
I see: it concerns not only my pictures... Thanks a lot!

Yes, the denars of Aethelred II. are really beautiful and the state of preservation is amazing. The coins of the Early Middle Ages are the junction between the  Imp. Rom. and the High Middle Ages.

As to me I don't like to go back or in the other direction (coins of modern times). In German exists a phrase: A vat without bottom. Since I have no corresponding money bag for paying, my wife would kill me (sooner or later). Even so my life is in danger. :laugh:
I would never buy this coin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Augustalis because it would lead me to Rome if not to Athens and finaly in the grave. :branchesthreeleft:

Best regards
AvP

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 01:59:27 pm »
Hi,

I thought it was Alien vs Predator and you were a video gamer.   Come to think of it, your explanation makes a lot more sense for this board.

Welcome!

Carthago

AvP

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 04:48:38 pm »
 ;D Thank you, carthago! Olthough Schwarzenegger, the terminator of the predator, is a fellow countryman of myne, all he brought to America was his "wonderful" styrian dialect and a lot of muscles.
What I want to bring, is the history of "ancient" Europe, minted in coins. :angel:

In Bavaria - the capital in the Middle Ages was Regensburg - existed about 1250 AD a very special minting technique. The silver blank (Schrötling) was not round, but angular shaped! In so doing it was easier to produce the Schrötling and furthermore no scrap was coming up. The disadvantage of this "technique" lies in the fact that after minting the angular shaped form does not vanish. Therefore the surface of the Schrötling was hammered more or less round (by exactly four strokes). This partially reduction of thickness gave rise to the so-called Quadratum supercusum, the only part with the original thickness. The product was called Vierschlagpfennig.

When I came to know the first time the reason for the missing imprint outside of the quadrat, it was really hard to believe: the beautiful motives were destroyed due to a harebraind technique. ::)

Now I show a typical example of a Vierschlagpfennig:

AvP

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2015, 05:09:18 pm »
The following Pfennige are attributed to Albert I (Mint: Regensburg). What you see is the bishop, an angel, Petrus holding a key and a fish and - this is my avatar - a winged sphinx with mitra.

Best regards
AvP

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 07:50:15 pm »
I'm glad you appreciate my humor!  I take a chance with it knowing that English (rather American English) isn't everyone's first language and they may not understand.

I visited Regensburg just in December with it's Christkindlmarkt and beautiful Dom.  A fascinating town and as well as your coins.  Thank you for sharing them.

Welcome to the Forvm.

C

AvP

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 05:14:42 am »
Thanks a lot!

All the big cities (more than 100.000 inh.) in Germany have been partially if not totally destroyed in the last years of the second world war. This was the overshooting response to the cynical Nazi phrase "to coventry a town". Of course the real proplem was Hitler (and his admirers), a totally crazy, power-crazed guy like Sadam Hussain or Assad (destroying Aleppo), who never would have capitulated. "Fighting to the last man" (and to the last building, preferably the ugly "Führerhauptquartier" :P) was his credo.

So medieval pearls like Lübeck, Nürnberg, Frankfurt and so on were bombed to smithereens. Over Regensburg and the smaller also very beautiful Passau or Burghausen near Salzburg must have been a guardian angel. The towers of Regensburg (compare San Gimignano), a symbol of wealth and might, are unique in Germany.

I try to take better pictures of the Vierschlagpfennige. I also would like to write about the former "Dünnpfennig" and most notably about the "Brakteat", the real master stroke between the 12th and 13th century.

Best regards
AvP

All coins are guaranteed for eternity