Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Coin Identification Help - 3-4g weight, 20mm diameter, 1mm thickness  (Read 795 times)

Offline Stuart H

• Legionary
Hi everyone,
I have what looks to be an ancient coin - can anyone tell me what it might be - Greek, Roman or something else?
It's between 3 and 4 grams in weight, 20mm diameter and very thin about 1mm.
It seems to have the profile of a person's head and shoulders looking to the right on one side, and a full figured person on the reverse side.
Pictures attached - sorry about the quality and the lack of detail - the coin is in the condition it was found.
Hope someone can help.
Thanks

P.S. just added some new pictures that might be a bit better

Offline Ginolerhino

• Consul
    • My gallery :

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Coin Identification Help - 3-4g weight, 20mm diameter, 1mm thickness
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2021, 08:17:35 am »
The bust does look a bit like Aelia Flacilla but the reverse is entirely wrong.  I suspect it is just wear that makes the bust look female.

The reverse appears to be GLORIA ROMANORVM, Emperor dragging captive right, struck by Valentinian and his family and again later under Theodosius I.

I believe that the small bust might be a Gratian, Valentinian II or Arcadius.  But will have to check references.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
Re: Coin Identification Help - 3-4g weight, 20mm diameter, 1mm thickness
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2021, 01:36:37 pm »
Please crop the background before uploading.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

All coins are guaranteed for eternity