Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help to get what is written in an collector's ticket for a Lesbos Stater  (Read 1258 times)

Offline paparoupa

• Parasitica Cliens
  • Consul
Dear all,

As browsing through my stuff, I realised that one of my coins arrived with an old collector's ticket that I initially thought it was the auctioneer's ticket but this is not the case.

It is actually the Lesbos billion stater (Coin 2) I posted some time ago (two of a kind  which one to keep - YES I still have both!) https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=89638.0)

References for this coin are: SNG Copenhagen 285; BMC p. 154, 46; SNG von Aulock 1682; Rosen 540; SNG München 644

What I can make out of the ticket are:

Side 1
Line 1: ?
Line 2: Lesbos
Line 3: Billon +unknown word (stater maybe?)
Line 4: Dated 520-440
Line 5: unknown word and then D.B.M 2495

Side 2: 5Frs 900

So could anybody please help me in understanding what is written, especially in line 5? Is it a reference or an auction?! Then the price of 5 Francs points that it must have been bought a lot of years ago. But what does the 900 mean!?!

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
P.

Offline Pekka K

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • ...one coin at a time...
Line 1: Aeolis
Line 4: corrected with other colour "cca 520 vor Chr"
Line 5: ähnl. = like

Pekka K

edit: 900 maybe a catalog number

Offline paparoupa

• Parasitica Cliens
  • Consul
Line 1: Aeolis
Line 4: corrected with other colour "cca 520 vor Chr"
Line 5: ähnl. = like

Pekka K

Wow! Thanks for the swift reply! So these are German I guess? Then line 5 is pointing to a reference D.B.M 2495. Is D.B.M any standard ref. or text book that I am not aware of?

Do you think the 5Frs indeed means 5 Francs? Then guessing from the German script on the other side, it could have been in a Swiss collection?

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Perpaps it means 900 Swiss Franks?
Andreas Reich

Offline AncientJoe

• Praetorian
Perpaps it means 900 Swiss Franks?

Agreed - it looks like: S.Fr 900

Source: Someone with equally terrible handwriting.

Offline paparoupa

• Parasitica Cliens
  • Consul
Thanks a lot for your replies! So I think we settled the price the previous owner paid for it :-)
But the puzzle of the reference (similar to) D.B.M 2495 still remains :-(

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Thanks a lot for your replies! So I think we settled the price the previous owner paid for it :-)
But the puzzle of the reference (similar to) D.B.M 2495 still remains :-(

My wild guess
DBM = Deutsches Bundes Mark = German Federal Marks (or possibly German bank marks) = Deutsche Marks. ähnlich would have to mean "equivalent to" rather than "like", which sounds possible though my German isn't good enough to be making such guesses. But if it was, then just track  back to when CHF 900 = DM 2495 and you've got the purchase date.

Andreas and fellow Germans, could this make sense?      

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Sorry, but that's not what it was called. Either Deutsche Mark (DM) or, if older Reichsmark (RM). Since it says ähnlich=similar, it must be a catalog of some kind.
Andreas Reich

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Areich is right. D.B.M. is a catalog.  Original title "Lagerstätten, Bergbau und Münzen - Die Sammlung der Preussag"

Best regards

Offline paparoupa

• Parasitica Cliens
  • Consul
Areich is right. D.B.M. is a catalog.  Original title "Lagerstätten, Bergbau und Münzen - Die Sammlung der Preussag"

Best regards

Thanks for your reply. The catalog you refer to, is from a mining-deposits and coins exhibition.

http://www.bergbau-museumsshop.de/shop/article_VFKK%252027/Lagerst%C3%A4tten,-Bergbau-und-M%C3%BCnzen---Die-Sammlung-der-Preussag.html?shop_param=cid%3D16%26aid%3DVFKK%252027%26

Die Ausstellung war nach der des Jahres 1969 die zweite große numismatische Präsentation des DBM gewesen.

So for the history what does the acronym DBM mean?

Thanks in advance

Offline Jochen

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
D.B.M. is short for Deutsches Bergbau-Museum

Best regards

Offline paparoupa

• Parasitica Cliens
  • Consul
Thanks a lot for all your replies. So it seems the former collector used a rather odd reference to a German Mining Museum catalogue (!!!) when there are many other standard references.

If indeed it was sold for 900 CHF, I will have to look one day into old Leu/NAC catalogues just in case I trace it's whereabouts...Or consign it in the end and let sb else enjoy this search :-)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity