Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Jochen's MotD. von Tegetthoff, Austria's sole naval heroe  (Read 2037 times)

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Jochen's MotD. von Tegetthoff, Austria's sole naval heroe
« on: September 25, 2008, 02:30:25 pm »
Hi!

I confess that this is a copy of LordBest's idea to share his beautiful medals.

Most of us don't even know that Austria formerly was a naval power too. But Triest was it's big war harbour.

During the war between the German Confederation (Prussia, several German states and Austria) and Danmark 1864 a naval battle was fight at Heligoland in the Northsea. The armada of the confederates stood under the command of von Tegetthoff. The result was a tactical victory for Danmark because von Tegetthoff had to retire with his burning ship to Heligoland which belonged to the neutral England. But both sides celebrated this battle as own victory, which hadn't any effect because 3 days later the war was lost for Danmark. This naval battle was the last one with only wooden ships and the last one of Danmark at all.

The naval battle of Lissa (in the Adria) was fought 1866 during the Third War of Italian Independence (Risorgimento) between the Italian and the Austrian armada under von Tegetthoff. It was a big success for von Tegetthoff against the much bigger Italian armada because he had directed his ships much more effectively and courageously than his counterpart. He used rammming and has armed some of his ships provisorily as ironclads. It was the last naval battle using ramming and the first with ironclads. But like the battle above this victory had no effect to the outcome of the war. Because Prussia - in war with the German Confederation under the leadership of Austria - has defeated Austria at Königgrätz the war ended with a victory of Prussia over the German Confederation and Italy was united.

The medal is cut in the usually bombastic style of the 19th century. It shows on the rev. Victory riding l. on a seahorse over the waves, holding wreath and palm.

Best regards

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
Re: Jochen's MotD. von Tegetthoff, Austria's sole naval heroe
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2008, 08:46:20 pm »
That is an interesting historical write-up and a magnificent medal.  There is a rudimentary appeal about the imperfection of ancients, but I must say that the coins and medals of the past two centuries demonstrate how man has sought to emulate perfection; I see beauty in them too. 

Best, Noah   

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2008, 12:33:38 am »
Now that is a Hippocamp by an engraver who really understood his Greco-Roman reliefs.  Is the artist's name known?  Well, it says Tautenhaus below the portrait.
Pat L.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2008, 02:13:18 am »
Tautenhayn, if I'm not mistaken. I've heard that name somewhere before, so he must be a well-known medal engraver.

Well, there's perfection in such medals for sure; but I still feel there's more life in a Vespasian as. The thing that's really strange about some 19th century medals, and this one too, is how a completely undecorated lettering with no serifs that might come from some 1970's electric typewriter was used in conjunction with very ancient-acting portraits and allegories.

Best regards,

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2008, 12:57:13 pm »
Looking at Jochen's beautiful medal, it occurred to me that the horse head of the hippocamp might have been modelled from the Ancient Roman horses, shown below, which have been residing in the upper gallery of the museum in the Basilica of Saint Mark, Venice, since the 1990's.
(The well-known horses displayed in St. Marks square are actually modern replicas of these horses.)
These original horses, made from bronze covered in gold, were looted from the Hippodrome in Constantinople by the Venetians during the Fourth Crusade. The collars are not original. they were added by the Venetians to hide the scars left when the animals were decapitated to fit them on to the boats transporting them back from Constantinople. There are many theories regarding the actual date of manufacture of these horses - ranging from c.500 B.C. right up to c.500 A.D. - however, recent scholars mostly favour a date at the earlier end of the time scale.

Alex.

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2008, 10:24:15 pm »
Well, there's perfection is such medals for sure; but I still feel there's more life is a Vespasian as.

Rupert, I completely agree with you.  That is why I'm into ancients.  I did not last long in collecting US coins because there was little diversity and uniqueness between any two coins of the same type.  With ancients, the vast disparity between any two coins of the same type is riveting.  Quality of metal and the dies, skill of the celator, and crispness of the strike all come into play.  That is immensely more captivating than a coin that has been "spit out" mechanically.  Of course, this info is nothing anyone reading my rant didn't already know...  ;)

Best, Noah

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 07:00:34 pm »
Thanks all for your contributions and comments. I agree with all of you. But I have shared this medal as an example for the impact of the ancient art on our recent imagination and as evidence for the motto on top of the mythology thread from Gottfried Benn ('Roman des Phänotyps'):

Aber Jahrtausende leben in unseren Seelen,
Verlorenes, Schweigendes, Staub; Kain, Zenobia,
die Atriden schwingen ihre Thyrsosruten her.

(But millenia are living in our souls,
Lost, silent, dust: Kain, Zenobia,
The Atreids sway their Thyrsos rods from afar.)

Best regards

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 07:14:21 pm »

O.K. this medal is the last straw Jochen!  I’m going to have to collect 19th century medals now and you and LordBest are to blame!

Regards,
Steve

Offline LordBest

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2008, 06:55:14 pm »
What a medal! What is the diameter? I have to admit I am very partial to the bombastic style of 19th c medals
Ancients do of course have more life, but is is worth remember that the dies for these medals were engraved by hand by some of the most talented engravers of their time, and there are thousands of varieties to choose from, in stark contrast to modern coinage.
                                                                LordBest. 8)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity