Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help identifying a coin!  (Read 456 times)

Ryou H

Help identifying a coin!
« on: May 21, 2023, 06:35:26 am »
Hello.
Need help to identify this ancient coin.
It seems like it could be from Kiev Rus', but not sure.

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
Re: Help identifying a coin!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2023, 07:20:02 am »
I do not believe in Kiev Rus for this coin  :-\. To my opinion rather one of the Bishop cities of North Germany, if not feudal France  ::).

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2023, 05:13:55 pm »
Hello Ryou H,

I think we have your coin here:
A Pfennig of the German Abbey of Corvey, with on the obverse: the abbot and on the reverse: the head of Saint Vitus.
Struck under Heinrich III von Homburg (1272-1306).
See underneath:

Ryou H

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2023, 01:02:30 am »
Hello Ryou H,

I think we have your coin here:
A Pfennig of the German Abbey of Corvey, with on the obverse: the abbot and on the reverse: the head of Saint Vitus.
Struck under Heinrich III von Homburg (1272-1306).
See underneath:

Oh, thank you very much!

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2023, 06:35:25 pm »
A very striking image.  I had to google St. Vitus and it turns out that he was usually depicted with long curly blonde hair....

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Jan P

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2023, 02:46:11 pm »
Hello Shawn,
Saint Vitus, as a Sicilian born boy who lived in the time of Diocletian, must have been most probably short haired and without beard. But than again, who knows? It is a guess.
However, here is a link to an article of the Orthodox Church in America abouth the life of St. Vitus and the painting there shows an image which does not differ to much from our coin:
(For what it is worth  ::))
https://www.oca.org/saints/lives/2012/05/16/101398-martyrs-vitus-modestus-and-crescentia-at-lucania

All coins are guaranteed for eternity