Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Juba II of the day.  (Read 928 times)

Offline gallienus1

• Caesar
  • Hope for the best but prepare for the worst
Juba II of the day.
« on: November 27, 2021, 02:48:59 am »
Just picked up this little coin of Juba II. It is toned, slightly off centred and has a weak obverse legend. It also has an excellent portrait of the learned ruler with a pleasing reverse design and clear legend

NORTH AFRICAMauretania, kings of, Juba II with Kleopatra Selene, (25 B.C.-A.D. 24), silver denarius, (3.89 g), Caesarea mint, struck c.20 B.C. - A.D.24, obv. diademed head of Juba to right, around REX IVBA, backwards to right, dotted border, rev.**KLEOPATRA* BAC*IL*ICCA, star in crescent, (S.6005, Mazard 299, SNG Cop. 567). 

Offline cliff_marsland

• Caesar
    • My gallery
Re: Juba II of the day.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2022, 01:11:31 am »
This coin certainly deserves a response.  It is certainly a splendid example of presumably a very scarce issue.

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2022, 12:41:07 am »
That's a wonderful coin.  Congratulations.  For a while I was trying to collect all of Juba II coins, especially with Cleopatra Selene.  Here's mine, different dies.

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=51760

with a write up.

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2022, 03:49:57 am »
Great coin, Steve,  👍

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity