Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Celtic Hack silver question  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Celtic Hack silver question
« on: March 07, 2020, 06:14:23 pm »
Ave!

AR; 13mm/3.3gm

Celtic Hack Silver question....

It's not a coin per say, but maybe listed as an artifact?

Or both at the same time?

Best regards,

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline cmcdon0923

• Caesar
Re: Celtic Hack silver quetsion
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2020, 12:26:39 am »
I've always personally thought of hacksilber (in its earliest forms) as more like "proto-money", in that the users knew and agreed that the metal had value, but it wasn't issued by some ruling authority in specific "denominations".  It was essentially an agreement between the two parties to exchange an agreed upon weight of precious metal for goods or services.

I'm not familiar if the Celts had some somewhat agreed upon value system for the exchange of hacksilber, as existed in pre-coinage times in the Levant.  For example, when you read in the Bible about someone buying a piece of land or livestock, or paying for some type of service for an amount stated in shekels, as we all know that equated to a weighed out amount of silver or gold according to the accepted weight of a shekel then in use.

For example, in Genesis 23:16  -  And Abraham hearkened unto Ephron; and Abraham weighed to Ephron the silver, which he had named in the audience of the sons of Heth, four hundred shekels of silver, current money with the merchant.

Craig

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 05:53:26 am »

Celtic Hack Silver question....

It's not a coin per say, but maybe listed as an artifact?

Why do you think that your piece is Celtic?

What do you mean with "listed"? Pieces of hacksilver are quite irregular and fragments of very different kinds of objects. You cannot classify them as easily as coins.

As far as I know most finds of hacksilver in Europe from the North of the Alpes are from late antiquity or later (there are lots of them from Viking contexts), but not from the time of the Celts.

There are some finds from Celtiberian times from Spain (e.g. https://www.academia.edu/2652468/A_New_Celtiberian_Hacksilber_Hoard_c._200_BCE ), but it is a matter of taste if you want to call this Celtic.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 04:26:36 pm »
Ave!

Perhaps I mis-spoke?

This is a fragment of a cut/chiseled Danubian Celtic silver tetradrachm c. 2nd cent BC, an imitation of Philip III silver tetradrachms.

Obv/ Celticized laureate head facing right  Rev/ Horse prancing

It is 4 mm thick. Not clearly seen in the original photo, there are six distinct chisel cuts.

See the photo below as it would have appeared before someone cut it up 2,200 hundred years ago to make some change.  ;D

I am a dealer of such things and my question concerned as to how to list it in my shop; a coin? An artifact? Or both?

Best regards,

Kevin

"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
Re: Celtic Hack silver question
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 06:27:49 pm »
"Coin fragment/hacksilber".

I think it is from a coin like you show.

SC
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity