Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: NEW BOOK ANNOUNCEMENTS  (Read 63373 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: NEW BOOK ANNOUNCEMENTS
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2014, 12:41:03 pm »
Quote from: Carausius on April 10, 2014, 11:58:05 am
I expect the RBW book to serve as a companion to Crawford. As long long as the arrangement follows Crawford, the lack of an index shouldn't bother me too much.

The arrangement follows Crawford exactly. Various rearrangements in NAC61/63 needed to be undone to achieve this (whew! a major piece of work), for example the aes grave and the gold (Triton 3) were separated from the NAC61/63 sequence, and Roberto used NAC61 to explore various new arrangement ideas - these again have been undone so as to revert to proper Crawford arrangement, however where such ideas were proposed by Roberto they have been replaced with text that synthesises those ideas, usually with added commentary by me to say what I think of them.

As for being a companion - yes, to expert collectors who would want both books given that RBW has countless more photographs than are shown in RRC, and up to date commentary, and complements the text in Crawford. But, for the average collector, RBW plus RSC1 (see my next comment) are all you will ever need. The few types missing from RBW will be in RSC1, and the latter serves as an index to Crawford numbers.

My only complaint, and it is a very small one, is that the RBW book does not have a table of contents, so if I wanted to look up a specific moneyer's coins, say, L. Sempronius Pitio, I'd have to know chronologically when his coins appeared.  A moneyer-specific index might have solved this problem too.

Moneyer's index: we didn't think a cross-reference from Babelon was worth the pages it would take up: Crawford's RRC does give such a concordance but it is 40 pages long (!!) and that would have added 10% or $15 to the cost of the book. The ever handy and inexpensive Roman Silver Coins volume 1, by H.A. Seaby (still in print) follows the Babelon arrangement and serves as such an index. You can look up Sempronia in RSC1 (any printing from 1978 onwards) and it'll give the Crawford numbers. I suspect it is very rare that any owner of Crawford RRC actually uses that 40 page concordance given that it's so much quicker to look up RSC.

There are concordance tables from Triton 3 / NAC61 / NAC63 to the RBW book.

I was just reading Vagi's article in Essays Russo .....

I'm glad Nick commented on Essays Russo. In all the discussion on RBW I'd like to prompt a reminder for Essays Russo, which is the real new research volume in contrast to the synthesised information within RBW, by listing its contents

Essays Russo:
Witschonke - Preface
Arturo Russo - Biography of Roberto Russo, a sample page below (note me in the picture!)
Rutter - Early Coinages of Sicily, Cyprus and Crete
Boehringer - Maestro della foglia
Campana - Emissione Siciliana a nome di Hermas e Pan
Santelli - Contromarche di Zeus Eleutherio
Morcom - Mint Sharing in Western Sicily
Gitler - Samarian types inspired by Athens
Vagi - Rome's first Didrachm
Burnett - a Puzzling Early Roman Coin
McCabe - Anonymous Struck Bronze Coinage of the Roman Republic
Schaefer - A Find from Campamento Ampurias
Pancotti - Attis nella monetazione romana repubblicana
Russo - The Retariffing of the Denarius (an important unpublished paper by Roberto)
Buttrey - Grammer and History, Thoughts on Republican coins
Witschonke - Unpublished Roman Republican coins
Stannard - Quartered and Countermarked Republican Asses
Woytek - Unpublished Denarius Hybrids, and the Sestertius of Considius Paetus
Amandry - L.Atratinvs Avgvr / Antonivs Imp
Kovacs - Eusebeia, Civic bronzes
Travaini - Corrado IV

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2014, 05:53:40 pm »
It's really a wonderful work.  It will no doubt become a standard reference for comparative analysis of available types, quality of issues, and particularly pricing.  Some of the prices seemed nutty for individual lots at the time, but it seems many have been supported by more recent auctions for similar issues.   I know that dealers/collectors use large RR collection auctions such as the Leu Nicolas and Haeberlin collections to get a feel for market pricing comparisons, but this work will augment if not supplant that in many cases.   

I'm so glad that NAC and the contributors undertook the project and delivered!  +++

Offline Stkp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #52 on: April 17, 2014, 09:21:08 am »
I have just received a copy of a new book 'Collecting Medieval Coins: A Beginner's Guide' by Paul A. Torongo.

Even those of us who are not complete beginners should benefit from this book. The book is a 386 page large format paperback. It is not a catalogue of coins but there are illustrations in colour with descriptions of hundreds of coins. There are many different topics including how to decipher those strange looking letter forms found on medieval coins, contemporary imitations and modern forgeries. Some Islamic and Asian coins are covered as well as Europe.

The book is only available on Amazon at quite a reasonable price, where you can see selected pages. In fact it is self-published. See http://www.coinbooks.org/esylum_v16n37a10.html for an interesting blog about the trials and tribulations of doing this.

Peter,
I just bought the Torongo book based on your recommendation and I am enjoying it.  There is not enough literature published on the medieval period, and I appreciate what I can find.

Stkp

Offline snapapuss

• Praetorian
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2014, 01:54:02 pm »
The Leone Trajan and Nero books in English  are available under the books section on the Lanz website on German ebay

steve

Offline snapapuss

• Praetorian
I was on Amazon looking around and saw this one coming out on Jul 30th 2014
By Lindsay Powell
Looks like a history of Agrippa

I am looking forward to reading it

steve

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
The Future of Numismatics in the UK
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2014, 03:33:57 am »
The publication that came out of the conference held in 2011 to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the British Museum’s Department of Coins and Medals, The British Museum and the Future of UK Numismatics edited by Barrie Cook, is now available online.

http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/publications/research_publications_series/2011/the_future_of_UK_numismatics.aspx

94 pages, the book is available online in its entirety.

Andrew

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
RBW and Essays Russo at the ANS
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2014, 06:16:23 am »
The ANS is now offering the RBW collection book and Essays Russo:

http://numismatics.org/Store/RBWcollection
http://numismatics.org/Store/EssaysRusso

This may interest those US collectors who did not wish to have them shipped from Europe.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2014, 04:20:46 am »
I have no idea about this new book but saw it advertised in a catalogue I just got and thought I would share.

Numismatic Archaeology of North America
A Field Guide
Marjorie H Akin (Author); James C Bard (Author); Kevin Akin (Author)

Numismatic Archaeology of North America is the first book to provide an archaeological overview of the coins and tokens found in a wide range of North American archaeological sites. It begins with a comprehensive and well-illustrated review of the various coins and tokens that circulated in North America with descriptions of the uses for, and human behavior associated with, each type. The book contains practical sections on standardized nomenclature, photographing, cleaning, and curating coins, and discusses the impacts of looting and of working with collectors. This is an important tool for archaeologists working with coins. For numismatists and collectors, it explains the importance of archaeological context for complete analysis.

http://www.lcoastpress.com/book.php?id=517

Interestingly the cover shows four pictures, the largest by far is a picture of a pile of Chinese cash.  I am considering buying the book just to learn why.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2014, 05:58:39 am »
It seems the authors have a life-long interest in Asian/American coins and culture. This from Amazon:

Marjorie (Margie) Akin has spent most of her life in California where she completed her education (Ph.D. University of California, Riverside, 1996), married, and raised four children. Her area of specialization within the field of historic archaeology is numismatics and included among her publications are contributions to Roberta Greenwood's Down by the Station: Los Angeles Chinatown 1890-1933, Julia Costello's The Luck of Third Street, and many articles and reports about Asian coins recovered in North America. Her publications in other fields include the seminal essay Passionate Possession: the Formation of private collections (Smithsonian 1992) which examined the world of collectors and the often-fractious relationship between archaeologists and collectors. She has been active in the Riverside "Save Our Chinatown Committee" to protect the archaeological remains of Riverside's Chinatown from development (see www.saveourchinatown.org). James (Jim) Bard completed his education (Ph.D. University of California, Berkeley, 1979), married, and raised three children. He has worked professionally as an archaeologist since 1977 when he cofounded a cultural resources management consulting firm, Basin Research Associates, Inc. in the San Francisco Bay Area. Jim currently is the Pacific Northwest Cultural Resources Lead for Cardno, Inc. in Portland, Oregon. He has worked throughout the western U.S. as a principal investigator and project manager specializing in precontact and historical archaeology. Recovery of Asian as well as U.S. and Canadian coins in varied archaeological contexts focused his lifelong passion for coin collecting into deeper concern for the treatment of numismatic materials by historical archaeologists. His writings include several published articles in regional journals and agency-sponsored cultural resources management compliance reports. Jim believes that much can be gained by cooperation between professional archaeologists and amateur archaeologists, numismatists, and private collectors.Kevin Akin, a retired steam engineer, has provided physical labor for Margie Akin's archaeological projects for 41 years. He is a longtime collector of coins and tokens, an active member of several numismatic organizations, and has designed medals for coin clubs and community organizations.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
Re: RBW and Essays Russo at the ANS
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2014, 01:17:07 pm »

This may interest those US collectors who did not wish to have them shipped from Europe.

Oliver Hoover's positive review of both books appears in this month's (2014 Issue 3) ANS magazine.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2014, 07:09:42 am »
David Sear's website says "Volume V of "Roman Coins and Their Values" (Constantine II to Zeno, A.D. 337-491) is currently in production and should be available by the end of the year."

Spink publishes it but I can't see any mention on their website yet.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Lerian

• Consul
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2014, 12:34:30 pm »
According to Spink it is now available to pre order.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
The Numismatourist
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2014, 07:29:30 am »
Just received, from the US, an inexpensive volume, The Numismatourist by Howard M. Berlin 2014, Zyrus Press. "The Only Worldwide Travel Guide to Museums, Mints, and Other Places of Interest for the Numismatist". It partly does what it says on the cover. It has 105 museum reviews, most typically 3 pages in length, and most illustrated by three photos, of the museum, of a display, and of some coins. Picture below.

For the museums covered, the reviews are very useful and give a good guide what to expect.

There is however a staggering anti-European bias in the coverage, or it may be a staggering anti-ancients bias.

It DOES feature the History Museum of Armenia in Yerevan, the Central Bank of Oman Currency Museum in Muscat, The Numismatic Museum of the Central Bank of Surinam, Paramaribo, The Reserve Bank of New Zealand Museum in Wellington, the Federal Reserve Bank Money Museum in Kansas City, and The Bank Al-Maghrib Museum in Rabat Morrocco. Well done for broad coverage of the world's continents. All boxes ticked.

It DOES NOT feature The Capitoline Museum, Rome, The Museo Nazionale Rome, nor in fact a single Italian museum south of the River Po. Nor does any museum in France feature, not even the nice display in the Bibliotheque Nationale. Nor any in Austria, which has a splendid series of coin rooms open to the public in the national museum. Not even Greece features, whose numismatic museum in Athens must rank among the best in the world.

It's a nice read, but given those omissions and no doubt dozens of other European numismatic museums, of limited practical use as a worldwide guide, unless you often find yourself in Yerevan, Rabat, Paramaribo or Kansas City. Sorry Dorothy!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Monnaies Romaines, Depeyrot
« Reply #63 on: December 09, 2014, 07:42:48 am »
Just received, from France, "Monnaies Romaines, Histoire et vie d'un Empire", Georges Depeyrot, Archeologie Nouvelle 2014. I bought it because Depeyrot does a marvellous service to numismatic studies and history with his Moneta publications, and because it had a lovely cover full of gold aurei (picture below), and it was inexpensive.

For those who read French it is an excellent, well illustrated book. It's Georges' personal story about what interests him and seems less bland than most general books on ancient coins. For better illustrated than any Wayne Sayles book and therefore of interest to those who do not read French so well.

The illustrations are rather naïve, with sometimes quite worn coins used for illustration, which I rather, like, and quite a lot of variations in colour reproduction, which is actually ok as the pictures are still clear, but this isn't a Danner-machine production. The golds are rather green and the silvers rather brown. I think my picture below gives a fair representation of a typical page. You get a lot of illustrations for your money however.

As with the prior book I commented on, available on Amaz (dot fr, but your UK or US or German sign-in and payment details will work just fine).

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Essays Blackburn: Early Mediaeval Monetary History
« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2014, 09:16:02 am »
Borrowed from my library, Essays Blackburn: Early Mediaeval Monetary History, Studies in Memory of Mark Blackburn, eds Rory Naismith, Martin Allen, Elina Screen, Ashgate 2014, part of the Studies in Early Mediaeval Britain and Ireland series.

A substantial academic work, 650 pages, I borrowed it because Mark Blackburn was a rather famous and well respected numismatist, curator of the Fitzwilliam, before his untimely death in 2011. 30 essays on mediaeval coinage, of which seven essays on the use and circulation of currency are relevant to earlier periods as well. Lots of interesting stuff, and mostly dealing with coins in the context of hoards, archaeology, economic history etc. Likely of more interest to others than me.

Offline dafnis

• Consul
  • ad astra per aspera.
    • Numismática Antigua
Re: The Numismatourist
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2014, 04:16:26 am »
For the museums covered, the reviews are very useful and give a good guide what to expect.

There is however a staggering anti-European bias in the coverage, or it may be a staggering anti-ancients bias.

It DOES NOT feature The Capitoline Museum, Rome, The Museo Nazionale Rome, nor in fact a single Italian museum south of the River Po. Nor does any museum in France feature, not even the nice display in the Bibliotheque Nationale. Nor any in Austria, which has a splendid series of coin rooms open to the public in the national museum. Not even Greece features, whose numismatic museum in Athens must rank among the best in the world.

Thanks for the review Andrew, had it in my list of upcoming books to acquire, somehow with previous/publisher's descriptions I had been misled.
Probably a very nice book but based on my ancients bias (and I would have hoped to discover in it less known ancient coinage museums) I won't be purchasing it after all.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
The Punic Mediterranean
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2014, 10:25:18 am »
Borrowed from my library today, The Punic Mediterranean, Identities and Identification from Phoenician Settlement to Roman Rule, Quinn and Vella eds, Cambridge, 2014.

Worth noting here as this won't be on the sale shelves of numismatic booksellers, yet there are two chapters on Carthaginian coinage, one by Suzanne Frey-Kupper, "Coins and their use in the Punic Mediterranean: Case studies form Carthage to Italy from the fourth to the first century BCE", 35 pages; and one by Alicia Jiminez, "Punic after Punic Times? The case of the so-called Libypheonician coins of southern Ibera", 15 pages. Other chapters are about archaeological evidence of the Carthaginians from across the Mediterranean world.

Publishers's blurb
The role of the Phoenicians in the economy, culture and politics of the ancient Mediterranean was as large as that of the Greeks and Romans, and deeply interconnected with that 'classical' world, but their lack of literature and their oriental associations mean that they are much less well-known. This book brings state-of-the-art international scholarship on Phoenician and Punic studies to an English-speaking audience, collecting new papers from fifteen leading voices in the field from Europe and North Africa, with a bias towards the younger generation. Focusing on a series of case-studies from the colonial world of the western Mediterranean, it asks what 'Phoenician' and 'Punic' actually mean, how Punic or western Phoenician identity has been constructed by ancients and moderns, and whether there was in fact a 'Punic world'. A host of leading international scholars tests ancient and modern definitions of 'Phoenician' and 'Punic' against case studies, thereby integrating theory with practice. Combines the use of archaeological, numismatic, epigraphic, and literary sources. Brings out the diverse nature of areas hitherto subsumed under the generic label 'Punic' and so gives an insight into the complexities of western Mediterranean history in antiquity.

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2014, 01:27:35 pm »
On my list.  Thanks, Andrew.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #68 on: December 30, 2014, 10:45:47 am »
Author Lee Toone forwarded this announcement of a forthcoming new book from Spink on the London Mint of Constantius and Constantine. Thanks. -Editor

Constantine coin London Mint The London Mint of Constantius and Constantine
 by Hugh Cloke and Lee Toone

A comprehensive catalogue and survey of the output of the London mint from AD 296 to 325. From when Constantius invaded Britain to regain the Britannic Empire back from Allectus to its closure in 325 when Constantine began to shift his power base to the East, the London mint was responsible for a vast output of Roman coinage. In The Roman Imperial Coinage (RIC) around 600 types were listed; the authors of this book have increased the number of known types to 995 and have illustrated nearly 95% of these with images on plates facing the catalogue tables in sylloge style. They have also provided a hoard census which lists numbers for each type found in four major hoards. This enables an objective rarity value to be assigned to each coin type.

Supported with a comprehensive narrative, indices and a concordance with RIC, this will become the standard reference work on the London mint for years to come.

Published by Spink
 Expected early 2015
 Price : to be confirmed
http://www.coinbooks.org/club_nbs_esylum_v17n46.html#article4

Offline S3VERVS

• Consul
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2015, 10:24:06 am »
Maybe I advertise also here in my newest book: ”Rahan synty” (2014) (eng. The Birth of Coinage) which is the first book about greek & roman numismatics written in Finnish.

There is 174 pages, lot of colour pics in 1:1 ratio. I’m maybe the wrong person to review it. ☺

Here is some pics...

- Jani

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2015, 11:19:48 am »
”Rahan synty” (2014) (eng. The Birth of Coinage)

Congratulations on your book! Unfortunately few of us will be able to read it, however.

Is Finnish always so compact? Do 800-page books contract to 600 pages in Finnish?
Curtis Clay

Offline S3VERVS

• Consul
« Reply #71 on: January 03, 2015, 12:18:28 pm »
Thank you Curtis. You probably won't miss anything because it is similar basic book like for example Howgego's Ancient History from Coins or Carradice & Price's Coinage in the Greek World.

Finnish language is quit different than English so it is hard to compare them.

Offline Alisdair

• Praetorian
    • Late Roman Bronze Coins – An Iconographical Exploration
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2015, 05:10:51 am »
Finally, after many months' work, I'm pleased to announce the publication of 'Late Roman Bronze Coinage – An attribution guide for poorly preserved coins'. It is a translation of Guido Bruck's famous 'Die spätrömische Kupferprägung : ein Bestimmungsbuch für schlecht erhaltene Münzen,' originally published  in 1961.

Bruck based his work on the very important Vienna collection. The book assumes that the mint mark is too worn to be read, and provides the necessary iconographical breakdown to identify coins using other elements: the image, field marks, bust types, legend breaks, etc. Line drawings are used, as opposed to photographs to illustrate the various types. The idea being that a line drawing allows the user to focus on the details which are of significance.

I originally translated this for my own purposes, as it has proved to be a very useful resource, but other numismatists encouraged me to publish this in order to make it available to the community at large – the book has been out of print for more than 50 years and definitely deserves to be known.

Curtis Clay and Shawn Caza have been of huge help in reviewing the text and translation - many thanks to them!

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it and that it is useful to some of you.

More info can be found here:

http://www.lateromanbronzecoins.com/

Offline Molinari

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #73 on: January 14, 2015, 04:10:40 pm »
Congratulations, that's a very big accomplishment!

And the website is really top-notch, too.

Nick

Offline Meepzorp

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
Re: RBW and Essays Russo at the ANS
« Reply #74 on: January 16, 2015, 05:58:21 am »

Hi folks,

Yesterday, I received in the mail my copies of RBW and Essays Russo. I ordered them form the ANS.

They are quite expensive, but I think they are worth every penny. I gave them a quick look.

It is amazing that RBW owned all of those RR coins.

I liked the photos at the beginning of Essays Russo. There is a nice photo of Roberto Russo and his 2 sons standing in front of what appears to be a (Italian?) villa. And there is a photo of Andrew with Roberto Russo and another man sitting on a sofa. The third man is smiling as if he just "cut the cheese". Andrew, is that what happened?

Offhand, I think Andrew's essay is 172 pages long. It is quite impressive.

Meepzorp

All coins are guaranteed for eternity