Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Divs Clavdivs - not in RIC?  (Read 3524 times)

Offline Nerva81

• Praetorian
Divs Clavdivs - not in RIC?
« on: July 19, 2007, 10:02:27 am »
Hi all,

I found this coin in a lot uncleaned coins and I have not find any ID for this coin ???
Obv.:DIVS CLAVDIVS - radiate bust right
Rev.:IOVI VICTORI? - Jupiter standing left holding scepter and thunderbolt.
Diam.:16-19 mm
weight:2,10 g

What do you think about it. Please give me some information about ID this coin
With best regards
Regards

Milan Boruvka
Czech Republic

Douglas

Re: Divs Clavdivs - not in RIC?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 10:20:08 am »
Your obverse is DIVO CLAVDIO. These were issued commemorating Claudius II by Aurelian soon after Aurelian assumed power. The only reference I have is Goebl 100/10m0. This is from the first emission in Rome. The only ones I have of these are the CONSECRATIO reverse, interesting coin!

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 11:17:48 am »
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I don't own RIC since it isn't especially good for the third century coins I enjoy. It is possibly in RIC, someone else will have to look that up for you. Unlisted in RIC doesn't mean much for the coins of Aurelian especially.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 12:42:14 pm »
My guess is that it's either a mule or an unofficial hybrid.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Douglas

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 01:07:57 pm »
Why do you think it is a mule or unofficial?

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 01:35:19 pm »
The reverse doesn't fit to a Divo issue, so yes, it is a hybrid coin, combining a post mortem obverse die with a lifetime reverse die. The style looks official to me.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Douglas

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 02:25:48 pm »
Goebl shows lots of these hybrids of DIVO CLAVDIO with many different reverses. So many that it seems to me that it's not accidental as you would think, like in the case of a mule (what a fantastic descriptive term. What else would you get when you combine a horse and a donkey?). Also the same reverses overlapping with IMP CLAVDIVS obverses and Quintillus as well. It seems somewhat haphazard, so perhaps it's related to the troubles Aurelian had with the Rome mint? I only recently purchased Goebl, and I have been lazy with my German and haven't read it yet, so I don't know how or if he explains this.

Offline Nerva81

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 02:53:03 pm »
There is a better picture of this coin.

I thonk that is official (rev. is like RIC 55 - mint Rome, but with different obverse legend). Many thanks for your ideas and interst  about it.
Regards

Milan Boruvka
Czech Republic

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 02:55:41 pm »
The Rome mint apparently was very disorganized at that time, that's why so many hybrid coins do show up, and it's also the reason for the usually crude style of that era.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2007, 06:55:11 pm »
I agree that the style looks oficial. Nice coin!
From the shape of the letter that follows IOVI, I'm inclined to think that the reverse is Iovi Statori rather than Victori. Both types exist.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity