Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nice Elagabalus sestertius 12/11  (Read 2290 times)

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
Nice Elagabalus sestertius 12/11
« on: December 11, 2004, 06:56:26 pm »
Finally pried this one out of a friend's hands (and you know who you are :))..
Elagabalus --AE Sestertius

Laureate, draped bust of Elagabalus, right, legend: IMP CAES M AVR ANTONINVS PIVS AVG /Elagabalus in priestly robes, standing left, holding patera over lighted altar, with cypress branch in left hand, legend: cos iii p p' target='_blank'>P M TR P IIII COS III P P, S C
RIC 326, Cohen 200

Offline Postumus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Iterum rudit leo.
Re:Nice Elagabalus sestertius 12/11
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 07:12:09 pm »
WOW ! :o
Caius Marcus Latinus Cassianius Postumus

Douglas

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2004, 01:01:14 am »
Excellent coin as usual, featherz! Hopefully you didn't pry it out of their cold dead hands! That's the only way I'd part with this coin.

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 08:54:30 am »
Beautiful patina and portrait, why cant i find sestertii like this? :P
                                 LordBest. 8)

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 10:49:20 am »

Wow –

Yeah, that is lovely, Featherz …  In every way.
  I love the visible wreath on the altar detail, too.  &nd such a beautiful jade-green patina!

Best –
  Tia

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 12:43:39 pm »
    This might be a mule struck early in 222 with a rev. die surviving from 221 (TR P IIII).  
     On denarii, at least, the "horn" was constant on the obverses of TR P IIII Sacrifice coins, and appeared with the earliest TR P V's too, then was dropped until the end of the reign in March 222.  On a denarius, the "hornless" obv. of Heather's coin would certainly date to c. Feb.-March 222.
     This particular sestertius obv. die occurs otherwise with the reverses SACERD DEI SOLIS ELAGABAL (e.g. RIC pl. VI.10) and LIBERTAS AVG, the latter apparently being a type of 222.  I noted a coin from the same dies as Heather's (or the identical coin, haven't rechecked the catalogue) in Hess 1933 Laughlin 771.
     What is Elagabalus holding in his l. hand?  It's been called a club or branch, but no one really knows.  All we can say is that it must be some object connected with the cult of his sun-god.
     Denarii of this type almost always show a star in l. field, clearly representing the sun to whom the emperor is sacrificing, but the star is quite often omitted on sestertii, as on Heather's coin.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity