Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Licinius Rarity  (Read 1610 times)

Arles

Licinius Rarity
« on: June 24, 2004, 11:38:39 pm »
This coin just went by the boards and I was rather surprised that the competition for it wasn`t a little more heated. Obverse IMP LICINIVS PF AVG, reverse LIBERATOR ORBIS. Unlisted in RIC, not sure if it`s recorded anywhere else, although I believe this reverse is recorded for Constantine in Victor Failmezger`s book. Just thought I would throw it out there since it seems to be quite rare.
Keith

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re:Licinius Rarity
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2004, 11:55:30 pm »
    Another, or possibly the same specimen, was reported to Moneta-L by R. Raciti on 12 Sept. 2003.  I probably downloaded an image, but it's still unfiled so difficult to locate.
    A. Alfoeldi wrote an article on this type, but I don't remember where or whether he too knew it for both Constantine I and Licinius.
    These two coins have become RIC 17A and 17B in my RIC VII, p. 298.  It's not only a new type, but a whole new issue at Rome, R*P.  "Liberator of the World" at this date and at the mint of Rome must refer to the defeat of Maxentius, who seems to be compared to a ravaging lion that the emperors have hunted down and slain!
    I agree that $203 was very reasonable for such a rare and interesting type.  I would have bid higher myself if there weren't already so many interesting earlier imperial and provincial coins to buy!  Were you the buyer?
Curtis Clay

Jericho

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2004, 12:18:46 am »
Wow, never seen that type.  Thanks for posting it!

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2004, 10:59:18 am »
    Although not in RIC because no actual specimen had been seen, this rev. type for Constantine I was already reported by Banduri in 1718 and is cited by Cohen 317 (30 francs) from Banduri and Tanini.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity