Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: purple crystals  (Read 1968 times)

Offline lestabantam

• Praetorian
purple crystals
« on: April 02, 2010, 11:13:13 am »
Has anyone ever come across purple crystals like these before? The coin was from a dealers junk box, (2 for £5,) The scans don't really do it justice, they don't show the large L below the red dot on the reverse, that and it's thickness has me thinking it's alexandrian. There is also some fairly solid lettering beneath the purple on the obverse.

So far I've boiled in DW and toothbrushed lightly. This brought out the purple! Under magnification the crystals are very well stuck on, Is DW likely to loosen them? There's some interesting chemistry here if nothing else.

Regards,

LB

CzarMike

Re: purple crystals
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 12:05:12 pm »
Its crystalized copper oxidation, It should come off with a bit of brushing and soaking.

Offline lestabantam

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 03:52:24 pm »
it's soaking already, I'll do daily brushings over the Easter break.

Thanks,

LB

Offline larry c

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 04:49:33 pm »
Quite common in chinese cast coins.
Dry area with little rainfall.
“Do you have the patience to do nothing"

Offline lestabantam

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 03:29:56 pm »
definite progress being made.

Back in DW with it until tomorrow!

LB

CzarMike

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 04:48:16 pm »
definite progress being made.

Back in DW with it until tomorrow!

LB

Did it grow?

Jk looking better

Offline crawforde

• Consul
  • Historia est testis temporum, lux veritatis ...
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 05:44:43 pm »
I have some Cast Chinese Wu Zhu with heavy crystallization like this.  It is beautiful with a lens or under a scope When coins are stacked it forms in between.

Offline lestabantam

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 07:43:22 pm »
Well it makes a change from the usual grime and muck, it does look very pretty under magnification. I still want rid of it though so I can identify the coin!

Offline lestabantam

• Praetorian
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 08:17:09 am »
despite a lot of brushing very little progres has been made. Thse crystals are very stubborn indeed! On a brighter note I think I have it identified, I reckon it could well be one of these..

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/catalog/roman-and-greek-coins.asp?param=39409q00.jpg&vpar=444&zpg=50476&fld=https://www.forumancientcoins.com/Coins2/

I'll carry on with the soaking and scrubbing, patience is a virtue and all that!

Offline wileyc

• Caesar
    • Forum gallery:
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 11:43:09 pm »
If you can ID it with the crystals intact I would leave it, I doupt you would get much of a coin from under it and I think it looks pretty nice as it is with the color

just my two cents

cordially

cw

All coins are guaranteed for eternity