Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Commodus, Philippopolis. Apollo reverse  (Read 779 times)

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
Commodus, Philippopolis. Apollo reverse
« on: January 25, 2009, 05:35:44 pm »
Sorry to bother with another reference request, but i can't find this coin in Varbanov bulgarian and RPC IV on line.
My coin (an AE 18) is in bad condition, but below you may find the same type from Lanz auction 102 (from coinarchives); unfortunately no reference is given by Lanz as well.

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Thanks a lot
Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Commodus, Philippopolis. Apollo reverse
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 09:01:02 pm »
The only obverse candidate I have for yours is already labeled 'LB' in my files, and I don't have an Apollo for Commodus.  When I think how many hundreds of these little coins there must be!
Pat L.
Not same die, but related (letter forms, e.g.).  I also checked for use of that reverse die for Faustina 2, Lucilla, and Marcus Aurelius.

Offline tacrolimus

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Why, oh why didn't I take the blue pill?
Re: Commodus, Philippopolis. Apollo reverse
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 11:41:43 am »
Thank you Pat.

Luigi
I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member (Woody Allen paraphrasing Groucho Marx)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity