Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Sept. Sev. Alexandria, Victory thoughts please  (Read 595 times)

Offline maridvnvm

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Sept. Sev. Alexandria, Victory thoughts please
« on: May 01, 2008, 02:50:18 pm »
I have the following denarius of Septimius Severus from Alexandria:-

I have it attributed as follows:-

Septimius Severus denarius
Obv:– IMP CAE L SEP SEV PERT AVG, Laureate head right
Rev:P M TR P II COS II, Victory advancing right, holding wreath and palm
Minted in Alexandria, A.D. 194
References:– BMCRE -., RIC 350B (Rare - citing Vienna), RSC -.

Another member has suggested another alternative:-

"Perhaps, "P P "is missing at the end on the obverse due to a lack iof metal, the ... In this case, in BMCRE, it is 325note "Denarius of these types, Vienna" and in RSC it is 383a but has "advancing l." in error."

I cannot see any sign of the additonal "P P" on the coin in hand but was wondering what the opinion of others was with this coin.

Regards,
Martin

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Sept. Sev. Alexandria, Victory thoughts please
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2008, 01:33:29 pm »
It will be Bickford-Smith, unpublished draft, p. 111, no P P, recording five specimens, which comprise two groups of die duplicates, both rev. dies with the tribunician number split I - I by Victory's head, as on your coin.  There is not enough room for P P on your coin anyway, and if it were there, one would have to see the bottom of the letters.

B-S p. 112 records three specimens with P P, all with a different legend split, TR P - II.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity