Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Roman Empire "Trachy" Type Coin?  (Read 488 times)

Offline VOTman

• Praetorian
Roman Empire "Trachy" Type Coin?
« on: July 19, 2021, 03:16:11 pm »
Please help me with this odd curved coin received in an auction lot.

It's a Claudius AE Antoninianus, 21mm diameter, 3.4g in weight..., and it's somewhat cup-shaped.  The flan is 1.3mm thick but the curved coin is 3.0mm thick.  I know the Romans didn't produce Trachy type coins.  So the obvious question is..., what happened to this curved Roman Empire coin?

Any ideas?

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Roman Empire "Trachy" Type Coin?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2021, 03:22:40 pm »
This cup-shape type is completely artificial not the original production shape, made afterwards manipulated, perhaps for some purpose ...

Regards

Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 04:47:17 pm »
Fire!  :evil:

I have a couple like this and in addition to the curvature they clearly shows signs of fire damage.

Both are large antoninani like this too.

SC

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline Ron C2

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Qvod perierat adhvc exstat nvmmorvm
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 05:42:59 pm »
Roman coins of this vintage are routinely dug up in hoards. In many cases, they were 8n building that burned, or are dug out of fields that were farmed.

It's not that uncommon to see coins warped by fire, or disfigured by being hit by a plow some time over the centuries.

Someone mentioned heat distortion by fire, and I think that is a good guess as to this coin's past.
My Ancient Coin Gallery: Click here

R. Cormier, Ottawa

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2021, 06:31:33 am »
Fire!  :evil:

I have a couple like this and in addition to the curvature they clearly shows signs of fire damage.

Both are large antoninani like this too.

SC

The effect of heat is an interesting idea, but I can hardly imagine without mechanical effect of thermal expansion so it does not work in physics, except that if the heat only reaches the middle, but the metals are good thermal conductors and immediately equalize the temperature ...
In any case, it is interesting.
I think it could have been some mechanical effect that was even intentional.

Regards

Joe
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity