Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Please help to identify a silver trachy  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Please help to identify a silver trachy
« on: May 26, 2021, 05:48:55 am »
Hello. Please help me to identify this trachy.
Silver, 2.73 gr, 22 mm.
Looks like John III, but I did not find this type in silver.

Offline Obryzum

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Please help to identify a silver trachy
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 11:04:40 pm »
I am away from my references, and I do not recall from memory if this type was issued in billon.  If it was, this may be a silver-plated billon coin.  The easiest way to tell would be to grind a point on the edge on a testing stone.  If you see fresh copper on the inside, then you will know that the coin is not silver after all. 

This was an issue a few years back with some mysterious "silver" billon aspron trachy coins of Isaac II that turned out to be ordinary issues with thick silver plating. 

Offline Skolot

• Consul
Re: Please help to identify a silver trachy
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2021, 08:50:38 am »
I tried, there is white metal (silver? billon? electrum?)
It looks like Sear 2073 but it must be golden according to catalogue.
I have found these two examples on the internet. Were Sear 2073 hyperpyrons also struck in silver? Or is it a different type? Or a kind of fourree?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity