Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gold Roman coins  (Read 1558 times)

Offline Petronius

• Consul
Gold Roman coins
« on: December 18, 2017, 09:41:56 am »
Hi All,
One question has appeared in my mind about the quality of the ancient gold, used to struck gold coins. Until recently I believed that Roman gold coins were struck of very pure gold like 23.6K.
An authentic aureus of Hostilian was given for chromatographic analysis to determine the composition and the fineness of the metal. Strange to me the research showed lower purity as what we expected.
Here is the data from the measurement:
Averse side
20.55 Karat
Au, % - 85.61; +/- 0.06
Ag, % - 11.66; +/- 0.05
Cu, % - 2.74; +/- 0.03
Reverse side
20.40 Karat
Au, % - 85.01; +/- 0.06
Ag, % - 11.76; +/- 0.05
Cu, % - 3.23; +/- 0.03
What is your opinion about? Is it normal that gold with lower purity has been used to struck coins and how about the control of the magistrates on that process?
Is there any summarized information with the composition of the gold, used to struck coins in the Roman empire during the ages?
I am curious to find some more detailed information on that topic.
Best wishes

Offline Petronius

• Consul
Re: Gold Roman coins
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 01:09:17 pm »
Just to add the correction that the analysis is not chromatographic but XRF.
Sorry for the confusion.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 01:47:42 pm »
Butcher and Pointing, The Metallurgy of the Roman Silver Coinage, From the Reform of Nero to the Reform of Trajan, Cambridge 2014, p. 6:

"No analyses of gold coins have been undertaken for this project, and it is assumed that Roman gold coinage of the period was essentially made of pure gold bullion."

Note 5: "There is general consensus on this point, though there are not many analyses to support it: Burnett 1987: 50; Howgego 1995: 115; Harl 1996: 74-5."

The same observations may well also apply to the aurei of the third century AD.
Curtis Clay

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 02:06:33 pm »
There are still so many things to learn in this field.
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Petronius

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 03:14:14 pm »
Yes, I strongly believe it.
But I wonder why such an X-ray analysis wasn’t achieved for gold coins of different Roman emperors.
A short search on the internet showed that a huge work in this aspect has been done for the silver coinage.

Offline TenthGen

• Consul
  • Ferrata Fidelis Constans
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 07:19:24 pm »
It probably isn't a coincidence that a partially debased Aureus exists right when the Crisis of the Third Century really took a turn for the worse. If the Hostilian coin was minted after the battle of Abrittus, then it would have been during a time when Rome's finances and armies were stretched to their limit. Perhaps when Diocletian (and later Constantine) eventually introduced the Solidus, he was aware that the Aureus had been partially debased like the much more devalued Antoninianus.

As Titanusus mentioned, we really need to see this sort of analysis on dozens of coins across several hundred years to draw a conclusion. If there was a downward trend during the Crisis, it would correlate to similar trends in Roman silver until Diocletian's reforms.

There are two problems however. One, are we sure that X-ray analysis is the best option? For silver we know that the most accurate measurements for a coin's content are found when you look deeper than the surface. Since the technique in the topic post distinguishes the obverse from the reverse, it seems like it probably wasn't sampling the core. It's possible that production methods left residual silver or copper on the molds, hammers, etc that made the flans and coins, which might contaminate the surface a little bit. It doesn't seem likely to be such a dramatic effect, but it's possible. The second problem is that it might be hard to get dozens of Aurei for scientific experiments. Quality measurements would probably cause some sort of damage to the coin.

Very interesting thread!

Offline Petronius

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 04:03:09 am »
Thank you TenthGen for your consideration, they sound very very reasonable.
I don’t know if the XRF analysis is really the best solution to give the most representative data on the composition. The spectrometer, where the analysis has been done comes to 15-20 µm in depth. If we really aim to take the measurement from the core, than we have to bore the coin, which at this stage is not acceptable.
In regards to the aureus in question I can say that it was found in the region, where the battle of Abritus was fought.  I see that according to the common adoption the aurei of Hostilian are to be struck in Rome.
Isn’t it possible some series of these aurei to be struck not in Rome but in the local region of Abritus, to pay to the legions before the battle?  If this is the case how about the quality of the gold raw material, used for coining? It would be very possible that it was with lower purity, considering the fact that control far away from Rome was weak and the only important thing before the battle was to provide more resources to pay to the army.

Offline jmuona

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 11:20:53 am »
One thing to remember is the source of the gold. According to Encyclopedia Britannica the source of gold in the Ancient times has been at least partly alluvial deposits. This means the gold was naturally occuring and then 70-95% pure with silver the most important other metal, then copper and some rarer things. Gold obtained from minerals would be "pure", but from where and when gold actually came and how much of it was reused and mixed after Romans invaded countries, especially in the east, is unknown.
Burcher and Ponting discuss gold (and silver) bullion, which does not necessarily mean pure gold and most certainly does not mean pure silver (always).
These results obtained for Hostilian make me think of alluvial gold as the source, either "new" or reused Eastern bullion.
It is known that silver minted in Rome is of special mixture due to restriking old coinage.

Jyrki Muona

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 01:07:07 pm »
Possibly of interest: XRF measurements of the 2 types of Kodon staters

Concerning the provenance of the Dacian gold coins, our study shows that
(1) the Kosons with monogram
      are made from refined (more than 97%) gold with no Sb, Te or Sn traces, and
(2) the ones without monogram
       are manufactured mainly from native alluvial gold (Sn traces detected).

Source:
Bogdan CONSTANTINESCU, Daniela CRISTEA-STAN, Angela VASILESCU, Rolf SIMON, Daniele CECCATO, ARCHAEOMETALLURGICAL CHARACTERIZATION OF ANCIENT GOLD ARTIFACTS FROM ROMANIAN MUSEUMS USING XRF, MICRO-PIXE AND MICRO-SR-XRF METHODS, in "PROCEEDINGS OF THE ROMANIAN ACADEMY, Series A,
OF THE ROMANIAN ACADEMY Volume 13, Number 1/2012, pp. 19–26"

http://www.acad.ro/sectii2002/proceedings/doc2012-1/03-Constantinescu.pdf

Best regards

Offline Petronius

• Consul
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2018, 05:53:57 am »
Very interesting article, which is giving useful information on the metal composition of some Dacian gold bracelets and coins.
As Jochen shortly pointed, the researchment shows that the Koson staters have been made of gold with different fineness.
While for the first group of staters with monogram the authors refers to 97% refined gold, for the second group of coins they say that purity is lower, without to point any values or at least I don’t see such in the article. Anyway, it was very important for me to know that ancient gold coins as well as objects could have been made of raw material with lower purity.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity