Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Denarius with Geta obverse and Caracalla reverse  (Read 850 times)

Offline Jeremy W

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
Denarius with Geta obverse and Caracalla reverse
« on: January 25, 2017, 11:14:55 am »
To start off with, I'm sorry I don't have pictures, size or weight as I'm at work looking at some new acquisitions I'm bringing to a coin club meeting tonight.

The obverse is Geta draped bust right with PSEPTGETA CAESPONT clearly a Geta obverse

The reverse is Serapis with an inscription of PMTRPXVIIICOSIIIIPP which seems to be a Caracalla reverse from 215

I believe Geta was killed in 211-212 so not sure why there would be a mule of this type.

Any thoughts?  I'll try to take photos and get the other details in the morning.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Denarius with Geta obverse and Caracalla reverse
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 11:56:06 am »
Jeremy,

The mint itself can hardly have produced such a mule.

Almost certainly an imitation, either ancient or, more probably, modern.
Curtis Clay

Offline Jeremy W

• Caesar
    • My Gallery
Re: Denarius with Geta obverse and Caracalla reverse
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 11:58:50 am »
I feared as much, thank you.  I'll post pictures when I can as I don't see anything suspicious about the coin in hand.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity