Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Very small coin to identify, never seen anything like it  (Read 531 times)

Aidan R

Very small coin to identify, never seen anything like it
« on: August 06, 2016, 01:05:02 pm »
This coin came with a lot of many ancient Roman and some Byzantine. I have never seen anything like it. It doesn't appear to have any inscription; all it has is several random lines and dots. Could this be a barbaric coin of sorts? Or just scrap metal? Any help is greatly appreciated. It has a diameter of about 13x11 mm.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re: Very small coin to identify, never seen anything like it
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 01:28:54 pm »
Hi Aidan,

I think it is a particularly barbaric copy of a late Roman radiate coin. The really small ones are commonly called "minims", and some of them can be much smaller than yours.

Alex

Aidan R

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 01:59:45 pm »
Hi Aidan,

I think it is a particularly barbaric copy of a late Roman radiate coin. The really small ones are commonly called "minims", and some of them can be much smaller than yours.

Alex
That's interesting to me because I do not see a a face on the coin. I just read about them and some sites say people would clip and cut them, so would this be a piece of a larger coin?

Offline djmacdo

• Tribunus Plebis 2017
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2016, 03:01:45 pm »
To me it looks like a barbarous imitation of a small Judaean bronze of about the time of Alexander Jannaeus.  I think I see a circle, or part of one and radiate lines on both sides.  Or is this just like another Rorschach test where we can never be sure what ewe see?

Aidan R

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2016, 03:29:03 pm »
To me it looks like a barbarous imitation of a small Judaean bronze of about the time of Alexander Jannaeus.  I think I see a circle, or part of one and radiate lines on both sides.  Or is this just like another Rorschach test where we can never be sure what ewe see?
I also see the resemblance in that. Thank you for the help.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity