Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Balbinus Denarius  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Ken Dorney

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Coins & Antiquities
Balbinus Denarius
« on: October 21, 2015, 07:26:43 pm »
Balbinus. AD 238. AR Denarius (20mm, 2.75 grams). Rome mint. 1st emission. IMP C D CAEL BALBINVS AVG, laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right / PROVIDENTIA DEORVM, Providentia, draped, standing left, holding cornucopia in left hand and wand in right hand over globe set on ground to left, fold of drapery over left arm. RIC IV 7; BMCRE 33; RSC 23

A quick and crummy photo, but its a decent coin.
Ken
"Man has not evolved an inch from the slime that spawned him".  Dr. Jeckyll
http://www.coolcoins.com

Offline quadrans

• Tribunus Plebis 2019
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Ad perpetuam rei memoriam. Ars longa, vita brevis.
    • My Gallery Albums
Re: Balbinus Denarius
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 01:26:30 am »
Nice rare coin.. +++

Regards
 Q.
All the Best :), Joe
My Gallery

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 08:37:43 am »
Very nice style and attractive appearance. A flattering portrait of this chubby ruler. Yes, rare!
Thanks for the pic

Offline antesignanvm

• Consul
  • I REALLY love this forum!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 02:44:21 am »
Rare????????????
---In front of the insigna---

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2015, 11:30:28 am »
 Yes, RARE, haven't seen one of these lately
rare
- a coin or collectible that is very limited in availability.  Can also mean that there are few in existence, very limited availability, or that the item is very uncommon.  A rare does not necessarily mean a coin is very valuable.  The demand from collectors in addition to the degree of rarity combine to influence the market price for any item.  Usually, a "rare coin" means it is harder to find than a "scarce" coin.

So, in that regard it is RARE

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2015, 12:14:06 pm »
Balbinus and Pupienus only ruled for three months, explaining why as a class their coins were bound to be rare.

Within their coinage, the Providentia denarius of Balbinus is a normal issue, represented by six specimens in the Eauze hoard, comparable to Balbinus' other two standard denarius types, Victory with six specimens in the hoard and Genius of the Senate with seven specimens.

So these types are clearly not rarities within the context of Balbinus' own coinage, but they are rarities when compared to the common types of longer-ruling emperors such as Severus Alexander or Maximinus I !
Curtis Clay

Offline antesignanvm

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2015, 12:42:21 pm »
I can only affirm that rarity seems really subjective. IMHO Rare coins are others, I can assume as rare a vabalathus as Augustus, or a pacatianus. A coin of balbinus and pupienus can be found in every shop and this reverse is quiet popular.

I'd define it 'uncommon' but not rare.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2015, 01:50:04 pm »
Thank you,  Mr. Clay for that remarkable data on Balbinus denarii series.
Concerning rarity,  antesignanvm,  that was my point exactly...depends on how one defines it.
Please post a picture of the one you have in your own collection. I do NOT believe these can be found in every shop!

Offline antesignanvm

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2015, 02:39:42 pm »
In attachment the latest I acquired and during the years I have had other two. Make a search on vcoins site and you'll find 3 of the same type, if you search on ma-shops you'll find other 3.
As stated before a rare coin is a coin with a limited availability, this means that you look for a coin and you don't find it.
However it is a point of view, ken's denarius is an amazing piece but I simply do not consider it rare.

Offline Vincent

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 04:21:50 pm »
Thanks for the pic, and I'll be waiting for mine culling through a dealer's junk box or assorted 2X2's, since it can found just about anywhere.
Yours is a nice toned one, BTW...be well and happy collecting

All coins are guaranteed for eternity