Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Full ID please Antoninus Pius As HONORI AVG  (Read 1463 times)

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
Full ID please Antoninus Pius As HONORI AVG
« on: October 06, 2015, 05:43:17 pm »
I can’t find an RIC III reference for this Antoninus Pius As. I am sorry the image is rather poorObv:  ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P TR P, laureate bust right.  Rev: HONORI AVG COS IIII S-C, Honos standing left, holding branch & cornucopiae.  Any comments please. 24.9-27.5mm axis 11hr 10.8gr Thanks

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Full ID please Antoninus Pius As HONORI AVG
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 06:14:26 pm »
Could it be the As corresponding to RIC 952 (dupondius)?

ANTONINVS AVG PIVS P P IMP II Head laureate r.

TR POT XIX COS IIII S - C Pax standing l. holding branch and cornucopia.

I have such an As in my collection, and I'm sure there are others: TR P XIX middle bronzes of Pius have been streaming out of Bulgaria since the fall of the Iron Curtain. The HONORI AVG type doesn't have a fold of drapery falling down from the figure's left arm.
Curtis Clay

maximinvs

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 08:12:20 am »
That portrait looks odd to me though. My immediate impression was that it was a contemporary forgery...

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 05:09:02 pm »
Sorry my first image was so poor. It is definitely a HONORI AVG COS III  If it is a contemporary forgery it is jolly good one! I still can't find any reference to this coin.

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 05:38:38 pm »
I continue to think that it is just a TR POT XIX Pax standing As, but reworked by a modern tooler!

The tooler altered IMP II in the obv. legend to TR P.

On the reverse, TR POT XIX was mostly off flan or corroded away, so he replaced it by HONORI AVG.

As I pointed out in my first post, Honos never has drapery hanging from his l. arm, whereas Pax always has drapery hanging from hers. On your coin that drapery is present, so the figure is Pax.

Similarly your figure is not wearing a toga, the required dress for Honos. She just has the normal full drapery of a female personification.
Curtis Clay

Offline Connect4

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 07:44:07 am »
Thanks CurtisClay
It is a very interesting $8 coin!  I see exactly what you say; the obverse seems to have been tooled.  The same must be said for the reverse.  The intriguing question is why would this have been done in antiquity?  Were they trying to make fun of Honos by attaching the inscription to a female form?  The patina looks very even and convincing. Surely this is a lot of effort for a modern ‘faker’ to go to? It was sold as an Antoninus Pius Pax As and didn't get much interest due to poor images. Thanks to all for your comments. 

Offline curtislclay

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2015, 11:02:13 am »
In my opinion the tooling is modern. The tooler probably thought Honos would be a more saleable type than Pax.
Curtis Clay

All coins are guaranteed for eternity