Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: steven saylor series?  (Read 2991 times)

AncientCoins

steven saylor series?
« on: September 19, 2005, 05:25:53 pm »
hello all, i was looking for a good novel on ancient rome to pick up, and found steven saylors series.....  the books i found are, 1) roman blood, and 2) arms of nemesis.  are these books good and historically accurate for the period?  are there other books to this series or other good books this man wrote?

thanks,
andrew

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
Re: steven saylor series?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2005, 11:26:54 pm »
Hello Andrew,

I haven't read any books by Saylor but I have read many novels set in ancient Rome. "Imperial Govenor" by George Shipway is an excellent account of the Boudiccan revolt in Britannia from the Roman stand point. Highly recommended.

P.M. if you are interested in any more titles.

Offline Bill S

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2005, 12:52:23 pm »
I also was hoping someone would provide more info on Saylor - but will appreciate recommendations on other authors/titles as well.  I read one of Saylor's books - "The Judgement of Caesar" - which centers around Caesar's first meeting with Cleopatra.  An enjoyable read, and as far as I can tell he did a great job with the historical setting, but I'll also admit to a limited knowledge of that period.

Offline Magistra

• Praetorian
  • Latin is FUN!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2005, 08:32:42 pm »
Any of Saylor's books are good. The Judgment of Caesar received kudos from area Latin teachers.  Saylor is a history professor, so expect history!  He does an excellent job in bringing Cicero and Caesar to life.  Most major book stores or on-line service have his series.  I read Murder on the Appian Way during a trip to Italy--so appropriate!
Enjoy!
Magistra
Lingua Latina vivit!

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 07:17:42 pm »
Sorry it has taken so long to respond with a list of historical Roman fiction...

The Antagonist by Ernest Gann is about the siege of Masada and is most excellent.
The Light Bearer by Donna Gillespie is about Domitian's Chattian war and is very enjoyable.
Domitia and Domitian by David Corson is one of the most historically accurate novels I've ever read....a wonderful book.
Pompeii by Robert Harris gives a vivid account of the Vesuvian eruption.

Some others I highly recommend:
An Imaginary Life by David Malouf....a tale of Ovid's exile.
The Centurions by Damion Hunter....Army life circa 70's A.D.
I, claudius by Robert graves
The Golden Ass translated by Robert Graves
Under the Eagle (series) by Simon Scarrow....invasion of Britain
Mons Graupius by Robert Clifton-Wallace....Agricola/Britain
The Illusionist by Anita Mason....Simon the magician
Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar
Josephus by Lion Feuchtwanger.... The Jewish Revolt

Despite being a big fan of the Flavian era, I've never been able to warm up to the Lindsay Davis Falco series...it just reads too modern.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 09:03:44 am »
There is also "Eagle in the Snow" by Wallace Breem.
Although set on the German Frontier in the last years of the Roman Empire, this book provided much of the background framework for the early part of the film "Gladiator".

Alex.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity