Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Philip III Tetradrachm  (Read 773 times)

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
Philip III Tetradrachm
« on: June 08, 2009, 08:07:43 am »
What does everyone think to these? They look like a match to me with the first  example from the fake reports. I think the shape of the flan has been altered though. Regards Adrian

Offline Philoromaos

• Caesar
  • NVNC EST BIBENDVM
Re: Philip III Tetradrachm
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 04:46:21 pm »
Does no one have opinion on these then? Looking at the right side of the obverse of the second coin I see a line that corresponds with the position of the flan edge of the first coin. This is why I believe that they are cast from the same host coin, also looking at the reverse of the second coin the king's name seems to have been obliterated which I think can also be explained by by the reshaping of the flan. Please let me know if I'm just talking out of my a**e here or if you can see it too. By the way the second coin was sold as genuine on ebay UK this afternoon I didn't see the final price it went for though. Regards Adrian

Offline xintaris75

• Consul
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 05:50:10 pm »
Looking at the right side of the obverse of the second coin I see a line that corresponds with the position of the flan edge of the first coin.

Absolutely agree with you.
Ω ΖΕΥ, ΠΑΤΕΡ ΖΕΥ,
ΣΟΝ ΜΕΝ ΟΥΡΑΝΟΥ ΚΡΑΤΟΣ.
ΣΥ Δ' ΕΡΓ' ΕΠ' ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ ΟΡΑΪΣ
ΛΕΩΡΓΑ ΚΑΙ ΘΕΜΙΣΤΑ.
ΣΟΙ ΔΕ ΘΗΡΙΩΝ ΥΒΡΙΣ ΤΕ ΚΑΙ ΔΙΚΗ ΜΕΛΕΙ.

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 06:27:52 pm »
Looks like they are from the same die or mold....to me.
PeteB

Offline Joe Sermarini

• Owner, President
  • FORVM STAFF
  • Caesar
  • All Coins Guaranteed for Eternity.
    • FORVM ANCIENT COINS
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 06:47:10 pm »
Two molds but each was made using the same coin.   
Joseph Sermarini
Owner, President
FORVM ANCIENT COINS

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 07:51:50 pm »
Two molds but each was made using the same coin.   
Ooops. Right.
PeteB

All coins are guaranteed for eternity