Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Odd Aurelian. Any info?  (Read 928 times)

Offline Montanvs

• Praetorian
    • Roman Aritfacts & Coins
Odd Aurelian. Any info?
« on: June 10, 2007, 07:45:33 pm »
Just surfing around on the net, and found a picture for an unusual Bust type for Aurelian.  Notice the circular fibula style bust on the right shoulder.  Unlike anything I've seen.

Couldn't find any references to it.  Although the coin itself looks much like a RIC 264 or 260.

Anyone have any more info on it?  Other known examples? Rarity etc.?

Thanks
Markus
"What we do in life echos in eternity"

www.roman-artifacts.com

Douglas

Re: Odd Aurelian. Any info?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2007, 08:34:33 pm »
This is in Goebl, plate 110, MIR 243l.

Nice one, something I'd like to add to my collection.

Doug

(I just got my copy of Goebl the other day and haven't had time to decipher it yet... Man my German is rusty!)

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2007, 08:44:59 pm »
Yes, Serdica, Göbl 243l2, pl. 110, six specimens in his material.
Curtis Clay

Douglas

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2007, 09:45:44 pm »
Thanks for correcting me, and adding the Mint which I forgot, Curtis. That helps me with using this reference, and I appreciate it. By your recommendation I'll be adding Dr. Estiot's reference soon as well.

Doug

Offline Montanvs

• Praetorian
    • Roman Aritfacts & Coins
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2007, 09:51:04 pm »
Thanks for the ID. 

Does Goebl mention rarity/value like RIC does?  Just wondering if its a common type or not.  Based on the fact that I couldn't find much on it, it doesn't seem very common  :)

Markus
"What we do in life echos in eternity"

www.roman-artifacts.com

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2007, 10:08:28 pm »
Doug,

You were correct, I just added the 2 designating the officina, and reported how many specimens Göbl knew.

In fact, I was about to post the wrong attribution Göbl 243d2, when I saw your correct one!

Estiot, p. 394, comments on this bust type:  "Some of the draped and cuirassed busts are seen at half-length, with a shrunken right arm [not depicted on Markus' piece], and with the cloak sometimes ornamented with a sort of circular pin [at lower r.], and held down with a shoulder strap."

Göbl, Table 20, note 4, thinks that the "circular pin" is probably a globe.

The rarity can be deduced from the number of specimens Göbl knew, six is not many, and from the number of specimens with this bust in the Venera Hoard, apparently none.
Curtis Clay

gavignano

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2007, 11:33:36 pm »
Interestingly we have several world renowned experts on the coinage of Probus, but no one, to my knowledge (including me) is an expert on Aurelian's plentiful and interesting coinage.
So, for what it is worth, I've never seen this type, and watch Aurelian's coinage as offered on Ebay and the like fairly closely. It seems like it is quite rare!

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2007, 05:23:22 am »
On the reverse, the globe being presented by Jupiter looks a bit unusual too - it looks like a globe sitting in some sort of basketwork holder.

Alex.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity