Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Philip II  (Read 1198 times)

Ognyan A

Philip II
« on: May 24, 2022, 05:10:58 pm »
Hello ,  Recently I saw this Coin . I have seen a lot Philip the 2nds , but never saw such a tetradrachm. First moment I saw it , though it's a Celtic imitation , but after I looked at the reverse I made a conclusion that it must be a original one. What is your opinion, will be happy to hear some information, more .Thank you!

Ognyan A

Re: Philip II
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2022, 05:11:57 pm »

Offline Meepzorp

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • Meepzorp's Ancient Coins
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2022, 05:32:47 pm »
Hi Gnikiv,

I am a moderator of this section of Forum.

Your topic violates 2 Forum rules:

1) It is against the rules to screen a purchase.

2) We are not allowed to discuss prices.

Meepzorp

Ognyan A

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2022, 01:02:24 am »
Okey , I'm sorry , I haven't rod the rules. I did modify it , so if it's still wrong please let me know . Thank you.

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2022, 05:05:18 am »
There are only very few tetradrachms of Philip II with the head of Zeus to left and I didn't find a single one where the rider is riding to right and wearing a kausia (this flat hat).
Especially if you have a look into PELLA you find nothing comparable: http://numismatics.org/pella/results?q=statedAuthority_facet%3A%22Philipp%20II.%20%28Makedonien%29%22%20AND%20deity_facet%3A%22Zeus%22%20AND%20fulltext%3A%22head%20of%20zeus%20to%20left%22
Also the leg of the rider looks a bit strange :-\.

So it is perhaps really a contemporary imitation.

Regards

Altamura

Ognyan A

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2022, 07:42:12 am »
Thank you for your opinion , appreciate it , but I can't agree it is a Celtic imitation , because I have saw hundreds of imitations and double more than this originals ,but I never saw such a beautiful horse, text(filippoy) and monogram on any imitation. Also the test cuts I have saw on imitation are missing or they almost cut the coin on a half . I could believe this is the only piece of its kind (Zeus head on left with horn underneath the horse + the rider is not naked like usual , it is wearing cloths , that is why his leg looks bigger than the naked riders), and that's also why there is no records anywhere. Also the person who have showed me , said it has been found together with 16 more postum Pella's and Anfipolis's pieces , as I know they never been mixed (Imitations with Originals ) , so all facts point to the conclusion , that it must be original. This is my personal opinion and again appreciate your! I also will be happy to see more opinions , so guys please leave them in the replays. Thank you . Kindly regards!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity