Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Larissa, Please Confirm My Identification  (Read 945 times)

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
Larissa, Please Confirm My Identification
« on: January 16, 2022, 06:58:04 pm »
Hi all,

I recently got a lot of unattributed coins from Thessaly. I am starting my identification process and this is the first one. I think it is a coin from Larissa, I am thinking SNG Cop 143 and I also found a reference as Rogers 294. If this isn't a Larissa coin, I am way off base. The letters on the reverse are quite difficult to read. My biggest worry is that this coin seems possibly underweight compared to most examples I found online.

This one is AE15 and 1.44 grams at 0 degrees.

Examples online I have found so far are AE16-17 and between 3.6 and 4.0 grams. These are Rogers 294 and SNG Cop 143 and 143.1
But there is one example identified as SNG Cop 143.1 that is AE14 and 1.78 grams.
Looking at the Sear Greek Europe volume, it also has one smaller bronze (AE12) with the head of the nymph and horse on the reverse facing opposite from my coin, but otherwise very similar.
I found Rogers online as a PDF and the reference of 294 does seem spot on, although 295 and 296 looks close, as well. I highly recommend this book, The Copper Coinage of Thessaly, by The Very Reverend Edgar Rogers, 1932, for anyone interested in these coins, based on my perusal of it so far, it is available as a scanned PDF with a link on Numiswiki.

So, I am thinking am on track here. Thanks for any comments.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Tracy Aiello

• Caesar
Re: Larissa, Please Confirm My Identification
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2022, 08:39:47 pm »
Hi Virgil,

I think that you are definitely on track by attributing this bronze coin to Larissa. I checked my copy of HGC 4 and Denomination D (12 - 16mm, 1.99 - 2.3g) no. 535 looks very similar to your coin. No. 535 references Rogers 296 (which you also mention) as well as BCD Thessaly I Lot 1171.2 and BCD Thessaly II Lots 391.1 and 392.1-3. Check out the BCD references via NumisWiki and see what you think.

Regarding your suspicion that your coin is underweight I, unfortunately, cannot speak to that.

I hope that you’ve been doing well.

Tracy

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 04:16:43 pm »
Thanks Altamura, I downloaded the Rogers book previously and I find it very useful so far and believe I will be using it extensively for the coins in this lot. The second coin I have just glanced at is probably Larissa, but has nymph facing and rider on horse. I would really like to find a hard copy of this book and will look, but suspect it will be expensive. I will check out the other links you provided.

Regards,
Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 09:20:18 pm »
Hi Tracey,

Thanks for your note. Seems these coins have a pretty wide range of both size and weight. I will check out those references you provided. I am doing well, hope you are as well.

Thanks,
Virgil

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 09:45:18 pm »
Just looked at those auction listings. I am curious as to how you found those. Was there a way to find them without knowing that the auctions took place? Looking at what I have seen so far, my weight is a bit low, but the size would indicate to me this is a chalkous rather than a hemichalkon. Even the smaller hemichalkon are heavier in weight than mine. I am heading back to Rogers for a further look, but one question I have is does anyone know what the second number means in his listings (the number between the item number and the coin description). One downside of a PDF is looking for legends, etc. I haven't found it. For example, there is a .7 after Item 294. Those BCD catalogs are very cool.

Thanks again,
Virgil

Offline Steve Moulding

• Consul
    • Auction & Provenance Databases
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 09:57:40 pm »
Hi Virgil. The second number I'd think is size (I'm not sure what units). He says on Page 2 "While the greatest care has been taken to indicate the size of the coins, their weight has been entirely ignored".

Steve
Steve Moulding
New York

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2022, 10:17:10 pm »
Steven,

That makes sense, I think, maybe he is using inches. I had forgotten to include the screenshot I took.

Thanks for your response.

Virgil

Offline Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 03:37:36 am »
... I am curious as to how you found those. Was there a way to find them without knowing that the auctions took place? ...
There is an overview on the BCD auctions on Numiswiki :): https://www.forumancientcoins.com/numiswiki/view.asp?key=bcd%20collection

... I think, maybe he is using inches. ...
Yes, inches, as e.g. in the BMC volumes as well.

Regards

Altamura

Offline Virgil H

• Caesar
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 05:06:11 pm »
Thanks, Altamura.

Regards,
Virgil

All coins are guaranteed for eternity