Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Tea chests  (Read 4185 times)

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Tea chests
« on: August 02, 2015, 10:47:17 am »
I use tea chests to store tickets and envelopes from sales. Below is a Damman chest with 8 compartments that I'm currently using to store ex-RBW collection envelopes and I ordered another box recently for more envelopes. I've a lot of ex-RBW envelopes which should not be a surprise It looks like a potentially lovely way to store flips too although I only use it for the tickets and envelopes as my coins are in abafils. I bought my latest box on the bay, and it came filled with tea though I was only looking for the box. There are other brands that make lovely boxes too. Just a tip.

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • My website on Roman Republican Coins and Books, with 2000 coins arranged per Crawford
Re: Tea chests
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 12:34:06 pm »
I use tea chests to store tickets and envelopes from sales. Below is a Damman chest with 8 compartments that I'm currently using to store ex-RBW collection envelopes and I ordered another box recently for more envelopes. I've a lot of ex-RBW envelopes which should not be a surprise It looks like a potentially lovely way to store flips too although I only use it for the tickets and envelopes as my coins are in abafils. I bought my latest box on the bay, and it came filled with tea though I was only looking for the box. There are other brands that make lovely boxes too. Just a tip.

Every initial post has a context that's often not fully explained. Today I'm working on tickets and provenances and thus did some tidying ...

Offline Mat

• Caesar
  • Ancient Coin Addict
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 01:35:34 pm »
Never thought about a tea chest, Its almost like a cigar box but with compartments.

I keep my loose tags/flips and the likes in empty PCGS Blue Boxes.

I don't have nearly as many as the OP pics.
MY GALLERY

MJB Ancients

Offline carthago

• Caesar
  • Nervos belli, pecuniam
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 04:13:40 pm »
Quote from: Mat on August 02, 2015, 01:35:34 pm

Me too, though Andrew's solution is a bit more elegant.  The PCGS boxes work for just about any size flip and allows to customize the compartmentalization with dividers that fit into the slab slots if you desire. 

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 05:14:33 pm »
Quote from: carthago on August 02, 2015, 04:13:40 pm

Me too, though Andrew's solution is a bit more elegant.  The PCGS boxes work for just about any size flip and allows to customize the compartmentalization with dividers that fit into the slab slots if you desire. 

It's very elegant and its black and red wood matches my Abafils.

I bought one today for £14.99 on eBay. I'd have been happy to pay £14.99 for the box but it came filled with tea. Possibly an unused gift as new (again, filled with tea) they are €70. I'm sure there are cheaper but perhaps less elegant alternatives.

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 06:00:59 pm »
Tea chests have changed since I were a lad! You can't turn that into a double bass.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Britannicus

• Consul
  • Sapere aude.
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 11:12:06 pm »
Quote from: carthago on August 02, 2015, 04:13:40 pm

It's very elegant and its black and red wood matches my Abafils.

I bought one today for £14.99 on eBay. I'd have been happy to pay £14.99 for the box but it came filled with tea. Possibly an unused gift as new (again, filled with tea) they are €70. I'm sure there are cheaper but perhaps less elegant alternatives.

Great idea, I would have never thought of it. I love tea so that's a bonus, because I would pay that amount for the empty box! My coins are also in Abafils, and right now all my original flips are not organized at all. I've thrown them all, in a completely random fashion, into a small plastic storage bin.]

Thank you for the tip, Andrew.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 06:16:12 pm »
I thought a tea chest was what Peter posted as well; we used them for storage way back, and got a fair bit of tea out of each one. What's the sort you posted intended for, Andrew?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 01:17:11 am »
I thought a tea chest was what Peter posted as well; we used them for storage way back, and got a fair bit of tea out of each one. What's the sort you posted intended for, Andrew?

The continental fashion for weak, mildly flavoured teas made from poorer quality tea leaves masked with artificial flavours in a tea bag that is laid beside a glass [sic] of lukewarm water is so utterly distant from the English or Japanese tea ceremonies that there's felt a need to mask the offering with a presentation style that gives a veneer of luxury and choice. This "chest" will contain eight different types of tea bag ranging from Lady Grey Decaffeinated to Redbush to Mildly Minty (chemical flavouring only), and is presented, lid open, alongside the glass of lukewarm water, so that you can admire the pretty box whilst making a selection between a range of equally insipid beverage bags which one dunks in the glass for several seconds until it's the color of watery piss. The fashion has become pretty much obligatory in so-called boutique hotels as it can be operated by staff who have never once had a good cup of tea (made in a pre heated pot, with freshly boiled filtered water using whole leaf pungent and strong single source natural tea, brewed for three minutes minimum, until the color of an appropriate wood (mahogany for Assam, walnut for Darjeeling) and served in a traditional cup or heavy mug). The attractiveness of the box is designed to mask the terrible tea.

In defence of my ownership of this box, I do occasionally get visitors from Europe who expect such a selection. I let them choose whilst I busy myself making real tea for myself.

PS. So called "Builder's tea" (PG Tips and such brands) are considered perfectly respectable alternatives to whole leaf tea for day to day use, and may be made strong enough to walk on. PG Tips in a cardboard box is classier than Damman Frères Orange Blossom Infusion in a red and black lacquered box. Real builders use two bags per cup. And mint tea made from a bunch of mint is perfectly good and tastes even better if pulled from the ground, especially if growing wild by a pathway or inside someone else's garden fence. Don't confuse it with hemp.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 08:41:48 am »
I so enjoyed reading that Andrew and I agree with you 100%.

Alex.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 05:34:45 pm »
You're welcome to that sort of tea! Mine may be green, but it's made from proper leaves which float free as they ought to.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 05:55:17 pm »
Builder's tea for me. PG Tips with sugar and milk. Although the PG Tips tea box I have (like the one pictured) is not practical for anything coin related.

Offline Gilgamesh

• Consul
  • I came, I saw, I'm still looking.
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 10:57:02 pm »
At the risk of oneupmanship, I have my own tea plants. Pity I'm not so fond of tea anymore. Good solution for tickets though, Mine are all in a cardboard box, totally disorganized.
Every day I know less and less about more and more. Soon I expect to know nothing about everything.

Offline SC

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2015, 05:12:44 pm »
Lapsang souchong.  Leaf.  Without milk.

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Offline areich

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 04:06:41 am »
I like how nothing Brits call 'continental' is actually something that is done in Europe.  ;D
Andreas Reich

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2015, 06:52:25 am »
I have not noticed a particular passion for the teas discussed here around much of Europe, but I can confirm the Swedes love a glass of weakly flavored slop , usually made with lukewarm water, which they laughingly refer to as "tea"... ( indeed, the average Swedish teabag contains about half the weight of leaves compared to an English bag!)

I always stock up on several hundred bags of PG Tips every time I return to the motherland!

Offline Andrew McCabe

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2015, 07:46:34 am »
I like how nothing Brits call 'continental' is actually something that is done in Europe.  ;D

I stand by my description of the low-grade tea (usually Liptons) placed beside a glass of not-remotely-near-boiling water that I'd describe as lukewarm, because it's happened to me dozens of times, everywhere from Spain to Scandanavia, but most especially I can vouch for it in Holland where I've lived 10 years. The only reason it's happened to me merely dozens rather than thousands of times is because I've learnt not to drink tea outside home, and invariably pack my own when I travel.

P.S. I'm not British, I'm born and brought up in a euro-using country, that has no association whatsoever with the UK except via the Treaty of Rome. So don't call me a Brit. But I guess my stereo-typing of "continental" deserves a reflecting stereotype where everyone who speaks English is considered a Brit, whether their passports are from New Zealand, Canada, Zimbabwe or Ireland.

P.P.S. I'm not mad with you, just reflecting on the mish mash of stereotypes in this thread ;)

Offline Lee S

• Comitia Curiata
  • Conservator
  • Caesar
  • γεια μας !!!
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 06:45:36 am »
This pretty little box appeared on the bar of my local eatery a short while ago..... ( just as Andrew describes, next to a jug of luke warm water! )
  Unfortunately despite my best combination of bribes, pleas and threats they refuse to let me take it home with me, so I might have to get on fleabay and see what I can find as it is an ideal holder for inserts and/or coins in flips and frames..

All coins are guaranteed for eternity