Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cleaning Frustration  (Read 1272 times)

Offline Zachary T

• Legionary
Cleaning Frustration
« on: July 13, 2014, 05:11:18 pm »
Hi everybody,

My name is Zach and I am new to collecting ancient coins. I am a classics major at university with a passion for Republican Rome and the Hellenistic empires it clashed with. I discovered this wonderful hobby while at school; I absolutely love the ancient world and had a revelatory moment when I realized I could actually own part of that world. My collection is, so far, eccentric and small, though I hope to narrow my focus down to collecting coins from the time period I enjoy most: the early second century BC during the Roman-Macedonian and Roman-Syrian wars.

I must say that purchasing cleaned coins has proved far more enjoyable than cleaning them thus far. Cleaning them has, unfortunately, only caused me much frustration. I am a very patient person, but I get very upset when I ruin or make less attractive something that has been in the same condition for two thousand years. If any of you have any advice in how to cope with that horrible feeling I would very much appreciate it.

I'm looking forward to continuing with this hobby and discussing it here at FORVM!

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Cleaning Frustration
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 05:52:29 pm »
Hi Zach, welcome to the forum. The solution to your dilemma is easy: don't clean coins if it frustrates you so. Leave it to others who enjoy it and enjoy 'just' collecting instead. I envy you the fresh look you have, in the beginning this is an extremely exciting hobby, almost too exciting when you first realize the sheer number of types of ancient coins.
Andreas Reich

Offline Carausius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Forum Gallery:
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 06:44:39 pm »
Hi Zach.  Welcome to the Forum and welcome to ancient coin collecting.  

I'm curious how you discovered the hobby.  Was it through your classics course work or some other way?  I studied ancient history and classics at college, but at that time numismatics was not part of the curriculum. I understand that is changing now.

Stick with coins that don't need cleaning, if that's what pleases you.  I've been collecting ancient coins for over 30 years and I have not cleaned more than 2 or 3 coins in that time. In fact, I've never bought an "uncleaned" coin for the purpose of cleaning it.  Others prefer buying and cleaning "uncleaned" coins - to each his/her own!

Offline David Atherton

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 06:53:54 pm »
Hello Zach and welcome to Forvm!

Sometime when you have the chance, you should upload your coin photos to the member's galleries. https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=1  It's always interesting to see new collections.

Offline JBF

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 07:09:54 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Zach.

A guy goes into a doctor, and says, "doc, it hurts when I do that."
Doctor says, "well, don't do that!"

My guess is that it might be cheaper to deal with uncleaned, but if doesn't bring you pleasure,
well, then, "don't do that!"  ;)

John

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 08:30:50 pm »
Hello and welcome!

cleaning of ancients only makes sense if you can recognize if there is a significant potential - so it means some experience is necessary to distinguish the useless cases. You have to try and spend some time.

(or as my old friend Mick Jagger once told those who listened to his songs: "You canĀ“t always get what you want, but if you try some time you will get what you need.")

:)

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 09:23:51 pm »
Welcome to Forvm, Zach.  I recommend staying away from uncleaned a altogether if you don't enjoy it.  Buying bulk lots of cleaned coins is much more fun and you'll have a blast attributing them.  But ultimately, just do what you like best and stick with reputable dealers for the time being.

Offline Zachary T

• Legionary
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 10:04:32 pm »
Thanks for the kind words and warm welcome everyone. I really appreciate it. You're right; if I don't like cleaning, I just shouldn't clean. For some reason I had this preconceived notion that you can't be a true ancient coin collector without cleaning, but I suppose that is foolish. I like the idea of buying already cleaned coins and attributing them. Now that, to me, sounds like a lot of good, potentially less expensive, fun.

Quote from: Carausius on July 13, 2014, 06:44:39 pm
Hi Zach.  Welcome to the Forum and welcome to ancient coin collecting.  

I'm curious how you discovered the hobby.  Was it through your classics course work or some other way?  I studied ancient history and classics at college, but at that time numismatics was not part of the curriculum. I understand that is changing now.

I have a professor who specializes in numismatics. In fact, he taught a course, which I could not take because I was studying in Greece at the time, that was all about the Roman economy. In it, students actually cleaned uncleaned coins he selected from a somewhat large lot. He chose the choicest ones, obviously, so that his relatively unexperienced students could clean and attribute them.

I got into the hobby because, quite literally, I was sitting in my dorm room one day reading Mary Boatwright's From Village to Empire when I started thinking about ancient coins. My grandfather used to give me old modern coins since I was very little, and, thanks to him, I have quite an interesting modern coin collection. So, given that early exposure and my love of Roman history, I put two and two together and decided I would search online "buying ancient coins." That search brought me here and it has been bliss ever since!

Offline renegade3220

• Caesar
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 01:12:40 am »
My grandfather used to give me old modern coins since I was very little, and, thanks to him, I have quite an interesting modern coin collection. So, given that early exposure and my love of Roman history, I put two and two together and decided I would search online "buying ancient coins." That search brought me here and it has been bliss ever since!

Zach,

Welcome!  I too got started in a similar fashion. My dad used to rebuild old pocket watches with my brother and me at one point and we also collected modern coins together. It was something to do with us when we were young.

I have always found roman and Egyptian history fascinating and, like you, was sitting around one day and put two and two together. I wasn't sure what a google search would yield me.  Needless to say I never expected what I found!  And this was one of those places.

To get my feet wet I bought some uncleaned coins and spent time getting a coin cleaning operation set up. I cleaned a handful of coins and quickly learned it wasn't for me and that silver attracted me way more than bronze. :)

My setup has been dismantled since but gets used on the occasion I buy a silver coin that could benefit from some cleaning. I actually look for "dirty" silver hear and there because cleaning silver is way more rewarding to me than cleaning bronze.

Enjoy, but watch the budget.  I learned early on, and was told by experienced collectors, that quantity does not equal quality. IMO, a small collection of quality coins trumps a large collection of low grade coins. Granted quality coins for me may be higher than quality coins for others and is definately lower than quality coins for some people.

In all, take your time and find what you like. Oh, did I mention stay in budget!? ;)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity