Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Question about an Athenian Triobol  (Read 550 times)

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Question about an Athenian Triobol
« on: April 23, 2009, 01:28:44 pm »
Dear Board Members,

Numismatic researcher Walter Bloom has a question about the authenticity of the attached Athenian triobol.  As he notes, the coin in question appears to be much sharper than similar specimens he has seen. 

The coin weighs 2.121g and measures 13mm.

Feel free to respond here or contact Mr. Bloom directly through the Perth Numismatic Society, where the triobol in question can also be seen:

http://www.pns.org.au/coin_images.html 

On a secondary note, does anyone know the attribution of this triobol?  I haven't been successful in finding a match, although its style speaks of an Eastern imitation in my opinion.  Notice that the epsilon and theta are not retrograde, and the possible Eastern symbols underneath the owl's feet (or are they a part of its feet?).     

Thank you in advance for the board's insight!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan       

Offline Akropolis

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Akropolis Ancient Coins
Re: Question about an Athenian Triobol
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 02:07:19 pm »
A very roughly similar type from Coin Archives, but I note the "E" is *backward* on your example, and no "stuff under the owls feet
PeteB

All coins are guaranteed for eternity