Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: mark antony and augustus silver, hopefully paranoid!!!  (Read 950 times)

romeo

mark antony and augustus silver, hopefully paranoid!!!
« on: October 27, 2008, 10:13:24 am »
i purchased these two with selling on in mind however before i do i want to check that they are ok,(ive had some bad luck lately!)the reason im a bit worried is that the mark antony altho it looks worn has a line on the edge, not all the way around, just a bit ,hopefully it is just a chip like you would expect.
the other coin which i havent identified fully yet apart from being augustus looks well worn on the reverse but the obverse altho still worn seems really raised on the portrait.
do people that make or own cast coins wear them down on purpose to make them look more authentic? regards paul

romeo

Re: mark antony and augustus silver, hopefully paranoid!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 10:15:21 am »
the augustus; like i said maybe im being too paranoid but best to check rather than to be selling fakes!

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Leave the gun, take the Canoli!
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 01:43:37 pm »
I can't speak about the Augustus but the Mark Antony looks fine to me.  The style is right and to me it looks legit.  Remember his coins are very low grade silver and most have been around the block for a few centuries.  XIII th is much sought after in any condition.

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 01:55:12 pm »
I agree with Titus Pullo about the Antony being legit.
(Of course, he's going to be partial towards the XIIIth Legion since he is a veteran of it!)
As to the Augustus, I can't say for sure one way or the other based on the photos.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 02:17:14 pm »
Quote from: commodus on October 27, 2008, 01:55:12 pm
I agree with Titus Pullo about the Antony being legit.
(Of course, he's going to be partial towards the XIIIth Legion since he is a veteran of it!)
As to the Augustus, I can't say for sure one way or the other based on the photos.

;D

romeo

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 02:20:43 pm »
thankyou both very much, im not that great at spotting the fakes so whenever there is a slight question mark i prefer to eat humble pie and check rather than accidently selling one, so im very grateful thankyou.
by the way why is the XIII sought after?

Offline Jay GT4

• Tribunus Plebis 2021
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2008, 02:28:22 pm »
Julius Caesar levied the 13th just before the Rubicon.  It then went over to Antony upon Caesar's death and eventually after Actium it was reconstituted under Augustus as LEG XIII Gemina.  It is also the legion that two of the main characters come from in the HBO series ROME.  "Titus Pullo and Lucius Vorenus"  BTW they were historical figures in Caesar's book "The Gallic War" although for the series it is completely fictional. 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity