Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Caligula and Agrippina I? 14mm 1.7gm Has Dots  (Read 608 times)

Offline Pete B

• Consul
Caligula and Agrippina I? 14mm 1.7gm Has Dots
« on: July 05, 2021, 09:39:37 pm »
Hello everyone, and Thank You for looking! I'm coming up 'empty' on this... if this is Roman-esque it looks like Caligula r. with an A and maybe a C behind, and two dots on the left top of the head. Maybe some other lettering. The reverse looks like Agrippina I, with a dot over a lump to left of the bust, and one dot under her chin. Maybe an A behind her head to the left...glossy and tiny. The time frame for Caligula matches the other coins in the lot, none Roman. I thought it might be a tessera, but that ID fizzled. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be most appreciated!

Offline Mark Fox

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Caligula and Agrippina I? 14mm 1.7gm Has Dots
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2021, 10:00:34 pm »
Dear Pete B and Board,

Huh.  It looks very much like this uncertain Julio-Claudian issue:

https://rpc.ashmus.ox.ac.uk/coins/1/5428

The position of the two visible obverse letters ("ΑC"), the style of both heads, and the peculiarly low weight all fit. 

Hope this helps!

Best regards,

Mark Fox
Michigan

Offline Pete B

• Consul
Re: Caligula and Agrippina I? 14mm 1.7gm Has Dots
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 04:51:22 am »
Hi Mark, Thank You! The coin certainly looks the part... ! didn't think 'Augustus' when I received it (part of a lot of Middle Eastern coppers 1stC BC-7th decade AD. I still wonder about the dots sunk into the dies-those were done "on purpose".

All coins are guaranteed for eternity