Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Any info about Figari-Mosconi (2017) on the Dattari Collection?  (Read 566 times)

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
Any info about Figari-Mosconi (2017) on the Dattari Collection?
« on: February 19, 2022, 08:49:37 pm »
Has anyone ever seen a copy for sale of Giuseppe Figari and Massimo Mosconi's (2017) Duemilla Monete della Collezione Dattari ("2000 Coins of the Dattari Collection")? From what I gather, it is mainly a supplement to Savio-Dattari (1999/2007), which illustrated Giovanni Dattari's (1858-1923) "fabled collection" of 13,200 Alexandrian coins with his pencil rubbings. Figari-Mosconi (F-M) simply provides auction photographs and provenances (mostly 1960s-1970s, from secondary reports I've found in RPC).

I've seen a few threads about the volume in Italian (on lamoneta.it):
https://www.lamoneta.it/topic/159189-la-collez-dattari/
https://www.lamoneta.it/topic/176990-7-aprile-2019-giovanni-dattari-e-la-sua-collezione-di-monete-alessandrine-genova/

There weren't many copies printed (maybe a couple hundred, comparable to Dattari-Savio) and the price was modest (~40Euros?). I've been hoping used copies might appear since many of those who discussed it on lamoneta were disappointed that it provided only photos and auction records. But to me that's perfect. (After all, I bought Savio's volume of 13,200 faded pencil rubbings of Dattari coins for much more! And love it.)

I don't think I've ever found a record of a copy being sold and worldcat doesn't list it in any American libraries (HJB's library is included in the index, I believe, as part of U Chi Lib; no entry in Numiswiki, so I'm guessing Forum may not have a copy either). It was published in Genoa by an Italian numismatic club / historical society (Circolo Numismatico Astengo). I think I read that Figari died before it was released (not sure about Mosconi). I tried sending a couple emails to Italy (though I don't speak Italian) with no luck, but eventually I may try again, or try to create an account and ask on lamoneta.

But I thought I'd check here first and see if anyone had heard of copies circulating in the US... Or, since it's kind of the definition of esoteric (but wonderful for someone with very precise interests), has anyone else heard of the volume at all?

I'm hopeful I'll ID some lost Dattari coins, but also just be able to see his coins in photo rather than pencil. I've only got two known examples that didn't come from Naville's large consignment, both of which happened to pass through HJB. One was a Grover - Chicago Art Institute coin in a Gemini XIII group lot, but the other is a mystery that came from CNG recently with an old Berk tag; it is a fun rarity that I'd have thought would've attracted more notice (RPC VI 10362, Temp, LINK = Emmett 3101 (7) = Dattari-Savio 12335), the only Severus Alexander Elpis coin before Year 10 (though there is a matching Mamaea Elpis Tetradrachm for Year 7, also ex-Dattari, with a pencil rubbing in RPC: LINK). Included here in my Forum gallery: LINK. I may post about the coin separately in the RPC board:
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

Online Altamura

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Any info about Figari-Mosconi (2017) on the Dattari Collection?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2022, 06:16:23 am »
Quote from: Curtis JJ on February 19, 2022, 08:49:37 pm
... It was published in Genoa by an Italian numismatic club / historical society (Circolo Numismatico Astengo). ...
Did you ask them already?: https://storiapatriagenova.it/Astengo/Pubblicazioni.aspx

Regards

Altamura

Offline Curtis JJ

• Caesar
    • CONSERVATORI: Ancient Coins & Their Provenances
Re: Any info about Figari-Mosconi (2017) on the Dattari Collection?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 12:33:00 pm »
Altamura, Many thanks for the suggestion! I emailed them once last September but didn't hear back.

That could easily be on me for language issues -- I'm okay (-ish) with French or Spanish, but when it comes to Italian (or German) I tend to rely on brief message (I have trouble with "brief," as you may be able to guess) in English, usually with translations, until I know the recipient's preference -- or just that things were probably very hectic in Italy with the public health situation at the time.

I'll try them again unless I discover there are more copies floating around than I'd realized.
“Collect the collectors…” John W Adams’ advice to J Orosz (Asylum 38, 2: p51)

Galleries https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=27154

All coins are guaranteed for eternity