Numismatic and History Discussion Forums > Roman Provincial Coins Discussion Forum

Gadara or Pella?

(1/3) > >>

Thilo:
Hi,

lately I received the attached coin. It is 29.7 mm and 17.68 g.

Obv.: Laureate, draped (and cuirassed?) bust of Caracalla (?) r., as seen from front.

RV: Tyche with mural crown in tetrastyle temple with conches in pediment seated right on rock (?), river god in front of her. Tyche seems to "baptize" the river god. Behind Tyche on the r. Nike (?) crowns (?) Tyche.

I really do like the obverse draperies as well as the reverse with its "baroque"-style temple.

However, I continue to have trouble with attributing it to a city. The obverse clearly resembles Spijkerman, Pella, nos. 12-13. This would also mean the obverse shows Caracalla. Actually, Spijkerman, Pella, no. 13, may show the same coin as mine, although in worse condition.

The reverse, however, appears at  Spijkerman, Supplementum I, no. 76a, and is attributed to Gadara and Elagabalus. Spijkerman's (or Piccirillo's who edited the book) attribution seems to be based on Rosenberger, EP, 48, nos. 82 - 83. Since I do not have access to Rosenberger, EP, I cannot check whether there were any reasons for an attribution to Gadara.

However, the obverse pictured for Spijkerman, Supplementum I, no. 76a, looks like a die match for Spijkerman, Pella, 14. Thus, have Rosenberger and Spijkerman both got it wrong and Rosenberger, EP, 82-83 aka Supplementum I, no. 76a as well as my coin should be attributed to Pella? Both obverse dies that seem to exist for this reverse type seem to indicate.

Thanks for your help
Thilo

Aleph:
In the Sofaer collection just published, it appears to be a match for Elagabalus from Gadara (Sofaer 95).  The cross reference is for Rosenberger 83. 

Thilo:
Thanks for the info. Does Sofaer give a reason why the coin is attributed to Gadara? Are any new reverse legend parts readable on the Sofaer piece (oh, obverse legend would be interesting, too)? The reverse legend identified in Spijkerman, Add, 76a, which seems to be based on Rosenberger 82, 83, does not give a clear indication for Gadara. But the two obverse dies for this reverse (the one shown at Spijkerman, Add., 76a, and mine) are die matches to coins that clearly can be identified as Pella coins (Spijkerman, Pella 12, 14) by their reverse legends. Thus, we either have die sharing for these obverse types between Pella and Gadara or we have a misattribution.

Thanks and regards

Thilo

Aleph:
I will try and scan the listing and plate tonight.  I don't think there is commentary on this particular coin, but i will take a look.  Sorry for the short replies, i dont usually get more than a minute to look at the boards.

Aleph:
It looks like on the Sofaer coin the ethnic is readable.  Assuming it matches yours, attribution seems pretty tight.  FYI, the Sofaer collection is a wonderful resource for holyland coins- highly recommended!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version