Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: sellers mistake RIC nr. my advantage ?  (Read 1077 times)

Silenus

sellers mistake RIC nr. my advantage ?
« on: November 26, 2009, 10:22:09 am »
Hello.
I have bought the following Nero-AE Dupondius - Marcellum Magnum.
According to the Seller Is a RIC 109 (type 18--MAC-AVG) which is with "R" on RIC declared.

After my reseach on RIC it is a RIC 184(type 18--MAC-AVG, S-C to l. and r., II on ex) which is with "S" on RIC declared.

Has this situation increase the value of the coin?
And how much to you think, if so ?

thanks.

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: sellers mistake RIC nr. my advantage ?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 11:14:48 am »
The value of a coin is only depening on what a buyer is willing to pay.

For bronzes this depends first of all on the conservation and beauty of the surface patination - but very little on the rarity ratings in RIC.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 11:35:20 am »
Quote from: Silenus on November 26, 2009, 10:22:09 am
Hello.
I have bought the following Nero-AE Dupondius - Marcellum Magnum.
According to the Seller Is a RIC 109 (type 18--MAC-AVG) which is with "R" on RIC declared.

After my reseach on RIC it is a RIC 184(type 18--MAC-AVG, S-C to l. and r., II on ex) which is with "S" on RIC declared.

Has this situation increase the value of the coin?
And how much to you think, if so ?

thanks.

From what you say the coin is only S (scarce) instead of R (rare),
so if anything it should DEcrease the coins's value.  ???

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 12:14:38 pm »
I think your dupondius is a very nice and desirable coin. Rarity ratings in RIC are not all that infallible. If it bothers you too much that it's scarce instead of rare, talk to the dealer, but I'd be very happy with this coin in my possession, and if you initially thought the price was fair, this shouldn't change your opinion.

Regards,
Ignasi

Silenus

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 12:47:09 pm »
I think your dupondius is a very nice and desirable coin. Rarity ratings in RIC are not all that infallible. If it bothers you too much that it's scarce instead of rare, talk to the dealer, but I'd be very happy with this coin in my possession, and if you initially thought the price was fair, this shouldn't change your opinion.

I like this coin and i dont wont to giving back. the above was only just a question.

Sellers rarity attribution of this coin was "very Rare", which mean on RIC what ?

@Andreas: my mistake i was thinking  that Scarce is less frequent than Rare.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 01:02:48 pm »
As others have said, it doesn't matter much either way if you like the coin.
Andreas Reich

Offline leseullunique

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 07:50:19 am »
Quote from: Silenus on November 26, 2009, 12:47:09 pm

I like this coin and i dont wont to giving back. the above was only just a question.

Sellers rarity attribution of this coin was "very Rare", which mean on RIC what ?

@Andreas: my mistake i was thinking  that Scarce is less frequent than Rare.

Ratity in RIC have no meaning. My father collect Roman coins, he began 30 years ago and he never saw a denarius refered as "scarce", but on the 2 last years, he saw 8 asses refered as R2!.

When RIC made his book, if he saw a lot af coins in meseum, he saied "this coin is common" buit you can't buy the coins in the museum so a coin refered as common in RIC can be of the highest rarity for a collector.

Regards

All coins are guaranteed for eternity