Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Clash of the Gods  (Read 9236 times)

Offline genexs

• Praetorian
Clash of the Gods
« on: August 04, 2009, 10:48:18 am »
Did anyone see "Clash of the Gods", which aired on History (in the USA) the other night? It was not too bad, IMHO. Tom Stone ("Zeus: A Journey through Greece...") was on it briefly.

CzarMike

Re: Clash of the Gods
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 12:40:59 pm »
I saw it, it was a good little history lesson.

Offline ImperialStart

• Legionary
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 03:26:08 pm »
I watched it last night and thought it was pretty well put together. I learned a lot of details to the story I never knew before.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 03:35:56 pm »
Which gods were alleged to be clashing?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline ImperialStart

• Legionary
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 03:44:58 pm »
Cronus and Titans vs. Zeus and Olympians

Offline genexs

• Praetorian
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 10:34:41 pm »
I liked the actors portraying the Gods. Zeus reminded me of "Prince" from the old "Lexx" series on SciFi. The Hundred-Handers were really creepy! I did not feel we saw the Cyclopses enough to appreciate them. In addition, I'm a little saddened that the Goat-of-the-Gods, Amalthea, was left out. But all things considered, the show was worth watching. I'm interested in seeing how they handle other myths/religions.

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2009, 05:16:39 pm »
A lot of ancient religions begin with a battle of the gods. In the Near East you have the chaos battle, with the national god destroying a monster in a watery chaos, in Scandinavia you have the Asir slaughtering Ymir, in Greek myth you have this battle.
Robert Brenchley

Offline genexs

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 09:56:27 pm »
Hi Robert:

That really is an interesting point.  It's certainly true that many cultures feature a battle in their Creation Myths. Now, science informs us about the creation of the universe in terms of a Big Bang. How amazing that the wisdom of the ancients is revealed yet again!

I'm looking forward to the next chapter in this "Clash of the Gods" series.

best,
Gene   

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2009, 05:23:03 pm »
I'm not sure there's a parallel with the Big Bang. Nothing was defeated there, after all!
Robert Brenchley

Offline casata137ec

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Trying not to screw up...one coin at a time...
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2009, 09:46:07 pm »
I'm not sure there's a parallel with the Big Bang. Nothing was defeated there, after all!

Sure there was...space was defeated when it was all of the sudden filled with solid matter!  ;)

Chris
Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto - Missouri 1822

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=19691

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2009, 09:57:24 pm »
What space?  George S
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline genexs

• Praetorian
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2009, 12:17:19 am »
Hi Robert:

By most accounts, the Big Bang was a pretty chaotic and explosive event. Somewhat like warfare. The Big Bang resulted in the creation of space-time and matter. Basically, the Big Bang created a place for us (and the rest of the universe) to exist in. The chaotic post-explosion universe eventually cooled down, resulting in the 'rules of physics', predictably comfy dimension we occupy. 

To me, some of this contains parallels to creation myths, especially those involving warfare. Early proto or monster/chaotic gods or goddesses were overthrown or kicked-out, in some sort of titanic battle. A new order was eventually enforced, by more humanistic and diplomatic gods, who seem to like many of the same things we do.   

As I said, to me there's some parallels. Others' mileage may vary. Maybe looking at it too deeply breaks down the analogies? You point out there was no war in the Big Bang.  Nobody really knows what caused the Big Bang, the very first action which created the Universe.

Who knows, maybe it was a war! ;)

cheers,
Gene 

Offline Barabus

• Consul
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2009, 10:50:15 am »
 Clash of the Gods will be on the History channel this comming Monday night.
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Offline genexs

• Praetorian
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 11:01:17 am »
Hiya:

Tonights episode (Aug 10) is "Hercules".

Offline ImperialStart

• Legionary
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 03:29:16 pm »
Cool, I have to be sure to catch it tonight.

Offline Tiberiusjulius

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2009, 10:33:52 pm »
I know this isn't a tv review forum, but quite frankly I just don't care for this show. I watched nine minutes of it, and I just didn't like it. I dislike the clip clip clip bloody action scenes and the 5 sec close up of each character. It just reminds of 300 and how my peers loved it even though it was supposedly somewhat sci-fi(I haven't seen it though and good thing isn't the same for this show) where as I assume I would prefer the 300 spartans(1962) which I have seen.
For any historical show I like the painting slideshow/interview over shows like this that have overly dramatic action scenes and gore blowing up on your tv set.
All the best
Josh

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2009, 10:59:35 pm »
I ventured to look at about 10 mins of this, because of its being discussed here, but I thought it was tasteless and brainless and made on the cheap, though I must congratulate Josh for an accurate and analytical assessment.  I merely thought it was cheap exploitation.
Most of the "History" channel stuff is that, at best.
Pat L.

Offline Enodia

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 03:22:18 am »
i don't watch TV so i can't say, but Josh and Pats' comments make me feel much better about missing it. it sounds exactly like the approach i don't like, and that's the same reason i didn't see The 300 either (although i own and enjoy the 1962 'sword and sandal' version).
and the less said about Troy the better!

~ Peter

Offline genexs

• Praetorian
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 01:01:34 pm »
Hi everyone:

Come on you guys, why hold back? Tell us how you really feel! :)

After reviews like this (including comments from one individual who did not see the show), I wonder if anyone is going to be brave enough and chime in that they liked the show!

BY HERCULES, I will...

There's no accounting for taste, but I don't think the show deserves quite this severe of a drubbing. I do agree it was weaker than the "Zeus" episode.  And the fellow playing Hercules reminded me of one of the actors from one of those old "Sons of Hercules" movies.  Heh! Then again, didn't Hercules sort of fail at one or two of his Labors? As they were pointing up the human aspects of Hercules from time to time on the show, I think the fact he was capable of failure would have been good to include.  The blood and the gore did not bother me, in fact the CGI rendered it somewhat cartoonish. 

On the plus side, I'm glad to see a variety of opinions on myth presented. I'm happy for the scholars of myth who were interviewed. I happen to agree with many of analysis presented, and I'm delighted that certain modern interpretations of the Greek myths are taking hold, so much so as to be even included in a show intended for a general audience.  I enjoy viewing FX concerning mythological beings. Whether it's low budget puppets-on-strings/men-in-suits beasts from old (and badly dubbed) Sword & Sandal movies, the artistry of Ray Harryhausen, or the more modern computer imagery--I love seeing how each generation reinterprets these myths and the wonderful beasts and beings that inhabit them.  (In fact, my interest in myth is what drew me to coin collecting.)

I too am nostalgic for the scholarly documentaries of the past--complete with monotonous voice overs--while I'm subjected to soothing cascade of images from museum exhibits and paintings. But for better or worse, many people today are board to tears at such things, or view them as forms of torture. Heh! But who knows, maybe the show would have been improved if it resembled a SFW Powerpoint presentation. :)

all the best,
Gene

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2009, 03:57:44 pm »
O tempora, o mores!  George S.
Hwaet!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2009, 06:39:57 pm »
People may vehemently oppose the show, but we must realize that most of tv is fake anyway. I would rather watch a somewhat accurate history orientated instead of an afternoon soap opera.

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2009, 08:33:27 pm »
A somewhat accurate history is something like a slightly pregnant woman.  However, I would prefer that to an afternoon soap opera, too.    And what is this nonsense about TV being mostly fake?? George S.
Hwaet!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline Danny S. Jones

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Danny Jones
    • FORVM Library of Ancient Coinage
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2009, 03:30:35 am »
A somewhat accurate history is something like a slightly pregnant woman.  However, I would prefer that to an afternoon soap opera, too.    And what is this nonsense about TV being mostly fake?? George S.

LOL :)

Most of what we know as history is subjective. History is written by the victors. "Woe to the conquered!"

Speaking of TV, I just saw "Clash of the Titans" again. I first saw that one at a drive-in theater. That was a few years ago!

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My gallery
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2009, 06:13:21 pm »
I don't think much ancient history is likely to be more than 'somewhat accurate', unfortunately. It was a long time ago, after all, and our written sources are very limited.
Robert Brenchley

Offline commodus

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2009, 12:36:26 pm »
There's a lot of what I will call "clashing of immortals" in many modern religious traditions as well, particularly in the two largest of the three major monotheistic ones. I will leave it at that so as not to touch too much on religion. However, it seems worth mentioning in the course of this discussion.
Eric Brock (1966 - 2011)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity